Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

FA for a second degree

mcclincy14mcclincy14 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I am currently a student pursuing my Bachelor's degree in Psychology. Although I like psychology, I love music and have been tossing around the thought of possibly going to another school (a Recording Arts school) in order to pursue that. I am wondering, mainly because I can't find it anywhere else and the Rep from the FAFSA website didn't really help me at all, if I would still be eligible to receive financial aid if I were to finish my current program, and subsequently go through the second program. Or if I would have to postpone my current program and use the FA that I have currently towards the Recording Arts program.
Post edited by mcclincy14 on

Replies to: FA for a second degree

• emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    If you didn't max out your stafford loans from your first degree, the remainder would still be available.
  • kcdunlapkcdunlap Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    If you claim on the form that you have another degree you are no longer eligible for federal grants.

I had a previous degree, I was not awarded any federal grants the first time as my father was able to pay for the cost of college during the days of the dinosaurs...but because I had a degree I was not eligible for federal grants the second time around even though I never took advantage of them the first time.
This discussion has been closed.