Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

good private school scholarships for a 30 ACT and valedictorian?

yaksic13yaksic13 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
Are there any good scholarships for this kind of score?
Post edited by yaksic13 on

Replies to: good private school scholarships for a 30 ACT and valedictorian?

• crazymomstercrazymomster Registered User Posts: 1,872 Senior Member
    are you a senior?
  • yaksic13yaksic13 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Junior, right now...just seeing what I can get if my act scores don't improve
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 32,837 Senior Member
    It depends... if your grades are good, look around for private schools where (1) your stats fall near the top of their range (above the top of their 50% range), and (2) they offer merit aid (you can see on the college web sites). If you are "geographically diverse" (from far away), that can help. My daughter got a merit scholarship that covered about 30% of her annual tuition/room/board expenses at Dickinson with this approach. And she was not a valedictorian (only 3.6 GPA, but competitive private school, took the hardest course load, and had great ECs and an excellent interview). She has had a great experience there, loved the school.
  • WaverlyWaverly Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    Do you qualify for need based aid or do you need merit aid?
  • yaksic13yaksic13 Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    both...but, I don't really know where to start
  • WaverlyWaverly Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    Start by running calculators to see if your family can afford it's EFC. If it can you should focus on colleges that meet 100% of need. They are in general top colleges and you should be a viable candidate at some of them. Probably not Harvard et al without a higher score, but several of the lower ranked schools that meet need.

Calculators are on this site, College Board and college web sites.
  • paperplanepaperplane Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    Yes, I think you will be able to find some schools that will be likely to offer you scholarships.
    A few questions that could help people guide you--what area(s) of country are you interested in? Are you willing to go anywhere? Liberal Arts schools in the midwest, especially slightly-less well-known ones (good but not super elite) seem like they will be your best bet.

What are you interested in studying?

What can your family afford to pay/are they willing to pay?

The advice about targeting schools where you will be in the top of the applicant pool is good advice. If you are mid-range or below, you might have a shot at getting in, but generally not for merit.

Explore collegeboard web site, there's a college match-maker that might help you narrow down a bit, then you can look at the individual college web sites & learn more (or ask about specific schools & scholarship possibilities here on the college search forum.
  • paperplanepaperplane Registered User Posts: 448 Member
    PS if money is a big concern, be sure to also consider your state 'flagship' university. It may be the most affordable option and it is good to have a financial and academic safe bet.
  • mamommamom Registered User Posts: 3,402 Senior Member
    I will tell you how we went about it. We looked for schools with the major my S was interested in. The list was big. Then we started looking for specific things S wanted at the school and offered in his major. We made sure the school offered merit money. We still had over 40 schools. Then I looked at S's stats and compared then to the top 25% of accepted students. After all that we still had over 25 schools but S whittled it down to about 12. He ended up applying to about 8 schools where he was in the top 25%, and 4 where he was in the middle 50%. He got offered merit money from 7 of the ones where he was in the top 25%. The merit offers varied from about 8K to almost full tuition.
  • NJSueNJSue Registered User Posts: 2,815 Senior Member
    ^^mamom, good post. Very clear and succinct about what it takes to find merit aid.
This discussion has been closed.