Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Verification - 4506T or file taxes & update Fafsa?

three4threethree4three Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
One of my kids did not owe taxes (only taxable scholarship income was below filing threshold), so we didn't file a federal income tax return for her. Now, the schools wants verification. I'm wondering if it would be easier to just electronically file a 1040EZ and update her FAFSA, or should I send in the 4506-T and request the "letter of non-filing". Her school seems to be requiring one of these two as verification of income. Does anyone have any experience with the 4506-T? On the one hand, it seems fairly straight-forward. On the other hand, I have a fair amount of experience with the IRS, and they tend to make things more difficult than necessary. Will it make any difference if I update her FAFSA at this point? The school sent this verification request last week, but they need the form returned in 14 days. Best to just call the school and ask for help?
Post edited by three4three on

Replies to: Verification - 4506T or file taxes & update Fafsa?

  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,702 Senior Member
    If you have been verified, you will have to submit all the forms whether you change FAFSA or not. I would just sent the letter of non filing.

    FWIW, all we ever had to do was state that student had not filed because they were not required to or did not have W2s or whatever requested document did not exist. I am not sure if the form you are talking about is a school specific form or a general form. We never had to provide it and we were verified numerous times. (both schools we have experience with had their own forms for verification)
  • three4threethree4three Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    The school is requesting a simple, rather generic-looking form (similar to what was required at another of the kids' schools) AND either the "letter of non-filing" or the electronic data-retrieval on the FAFSA. We used electronic data-retrieval for our (parents) part of the FAFSA, but the kid did not file taxes at all. So, I guess the school wants some proof of her filing status/income. How long does it take to get the "letter of non-filing" back from the IRS after sending in the 4506-T? I understand the 4506-T can be faxed to IRS and the IRS will send the letter directly to the school if we fill out the line for "third party"?
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    We got verified this year, and my son did not have to file taxes so I just sent a note saying so. I asked if the school needed anything else, and they said, "no".
  • pch340pch340 Registered User Posts: 811 Member
    I went through the same issue with one of my schools and they eventually told me not to submit it at all. Your school is asking for a Verification of Non-Filing which can be obtained by calling the IRS or mailing the 4506T. If you call, they can fax it within the hour; by mail, it can take up to two weeks.

    The problem, however, is that the IRS won't issue Non-Filing Verifications for 2011 until June 15th of this year and you obviously can't use the retrieval tool for someone who didn't file taxes. Explain that to your school's fin aid office and see what they say.
  • three4threethree4three Registered User Posts: 61 Junior Member
    Thanks for the comments. I think I will try calling the school tomorrow, to find out how soon they actually need the "letter of nonfiling". I noticed that line on the 4506-T that said something about current year requests not being available until after June 15th, and I wondered if it would be a problem.

    I believe a person can file a tax return even if they arent' required to do so? As much as I hate dealing with the IRS, it seems that dealing with financial aid is even less appealing. I'd almost be tempted to just file a tax return and then amend her FAFSA with data-retrieval. The school WILL accept data retrieval. Any thoughts on taking that route?
This discussion has been closed.