Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

FAFSA help...deadline at midnight

nailbanger711nailbanger711 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I got hurt on the job, and am receiving Workers Compensation now. I received around 9000 in 2011. I am a single parent of one child, and my income is under 30,000. I am trying to fill out my FAFSA app ( the deadline for State Aid is Midnight tonight ), and am not sure if I'm considered a dislocated worker . Also, I havent filed my taxes for 2011 yet, so I wasn't sure if I count Workers Comp towards Adjusted Gross Income. Thank you.
Post edited by nailbanger711 on

Replies to: FAFSA help...deadline at midnight

  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,597 Senior Member
    Try sending a PM to Kelsmom, she probably could help you.

    Either way, don't miss the deadline. File and do a correction later if needed.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    "Other untaxed income and benefits. Enter your parents' untaxed income or benefits not reported in items 92a through 92h, such as worker's compensation or disability benefits, interest income on educational IRAs, untaxed portions of railroad retirement benefits, black lung benefits, the untaxed portion of capital gains, and foreign income that wasn't taxed by any government. Also include the first-time home buyer tax credit from IRS Form 1040-line 67 and the first $2,400 of unemployment benefits received."

    The above is from the directions for FAFSA.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,546 Super Moderator
    If you are unemployed due to disability (which I assume to be the case, as you are receiving workers comp), you are not a dislocated worker. I am not sure it makes any difference for you, though ... the only thing being a dislocated worker does for you is allow you to qualify for auto 0 EFC if your AGI is low enough (but being able to file a 1040A or 1040EZ also qualifies you) and to qualify for simplified needs, which ignores assets (but your assets are probably below the threshold, anyway).
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,546 Super Moderator
    You haven't file 2011 taxes ... are your required to file?? If so, you are going to need to do that ASAP. If not, you can just report the workers comp as untaxed income, if that is your only income for 2011.
This discussion has been closed.