Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can you get both cal grant AND state uni grant?

jessickahjessickah Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
My parents make about 13k a year before taxes. We have 4 people in our house, only 1 student going to college full time (me, obviously). My EFC would be 0. I know I'm probably eligible for the cal grant and state uni grant. I'm planning to attend CSU Fullerton.

Can someone explain to me how this works? Can you get BOTH grants? What happens if you choose one, what happens to the other?? I'm so confused!
Post edited by jessickah on

Replies to: Can you get both cal grant AND state uni grant?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,179 Forum Champion
    Hi,

Yes, you'll get a Cal Grant if you're a Calif resident, but I don't know if the CSUs have much of their own money to give. The UCs have UC grants, but I don't know if the CSUs have much to give.

You will get a Pell Grant of $5500 and a Cal Grant for the cost of your tuition....how much do you need? You'll also get student loans and maybe some work study. Is this for this fall???

What is in your FA pkg.
  • jessickahjessickah Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I'm definitely a california resident! :) I don't want to get loans, do I have to? I am going to apply for Pell Grant & the Cal grant. Attending CSUF for 1 year would be around $17,000. I'm sure it'll be ALOT cheaper than that because 1) I'm living with my parents. 2) I'm not going to be buying new books, I'll probably buy them online.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,179 Forum Champion
    Yes, if you commute it will be a LOT cheaper than $17k. You probably will not need loans if you commute, since your Cal Grant will pay for tuition, and your Pell Grant will pay for fees/books/transportation/etc.

If you were going to live on campus, then it would be different. They you would need the loans to pay for that.
  • jessickahjessickah Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    for the grants i know the max is like 5000 dollars. do they give you $5000 per academic year or is it divived like $1000 per year until you obtain your undergrad?
    Cal Grants are for 4 years and cover 4 years of a Calif public....so you'd end up getting about $24k to pay for 4 years of a CSU. Be careful, you don't want to have to go more than 4 years or you'll lose your grant money.

you'd also get ANOTHER $5500 per year from a Pell Grant. So, you'd be getting about $10-12k per year total in grants.

However....since your parents earn so little, there is a chance that your FAFSA will need to be verified. It may be unbelievable that you live near CSUF and your family is living on so little money. There may be a belief that your family isn't reporting all of its earnings. The area around CSUF is pricey.
This discussion has been closed.