Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

being denied stafford loan???

iswerveiswerve Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
Hi, i am a freshmen at Miami Dade College, im taking 3 classes (9credits) this semester which is considered full time here.

My AGI last year was around 25k and my EFC came out to around 5k, i am independent with no dependents and no assets, first of all, does this number look right?

Secondly, i applied for both Sub an Unsub stafford loans to the maximum amount possible. After three weeks of waiting i dropped by the office and they told me my application was denied, i was running late to class and didnt have time to ask for the details, i will be going back tomorrow.

Can the college deny me of these loans? i know at least the Unsub loan is not based on financial needs so i dont see a reason why i wouldnt qualify and even with a EFC of 5k i think i should still qualify for some of the Sub loan?

your thoughts please? ty.
Post edited by iswerve on

Replies to: being denied stafford loan???

• amarkovamarkov Registered User Posts: 2,288 Senior Member
    There are three conditions under which you can be denied for a Stafford loan when you qualify:

1. You are in prison.

2. You are not making required payments on another federal loan program.

3. You have a recent drug offense.

However, 9 units is not full time at Miami Dade College; according to their website, full time is 12 units like it is in most colleges. Not being a full time student may affect your financial aid, and I'm not familiar with financial aid for part-time students.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,001 Senior Member
    You only need to be enrolled half time for loans at MDC, per their website.

These things come to mind: 1) You have been selected for verification & have not completed verification requirements. 2) You have a rejected FAFSA. 3) You were asked for certain information (related to dependency status, citizenship, etc.) and have not submitted as required. 4) You are not eligible for aid due to citizenship status, drug-related charges while attending college, or some other reason --- such as not registering for selective service. 5) You have maxed out your undergrad loans already (I assume you are older, so that is possible if you were in school in the past). 6) You attended MDC in the past and left while in classified as having unsatisfactory academic progress. 7) You have credits from another college that put you over 150% of credits needed to graduate from MDC. 8) You do not have a high school diploma or GED (or your high school diploma is from a diploma mill).

There are lots of reasons ... you will only know YOUR reason by asking the financial aid office at MDC. However, you can see if it's reasons 1 or 2 by going to your FAFSA and school financial aid portal to see if there are any issues.
  • iswerveiswerve Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    thank you for the info and prompt reply.

looking at your list of possibilities, 1)in the financial aid section of the student portal it says "no awards offered at this time" "no additional documents requested at this time" 2) my FAFSA went through fine, i got my SAR without any issues, thats where i found out my EFC 3) i think this documentation would be requested through #2, either way i am a citizen and 24 yrs old 4) never been charged for anything and i am a female so SS doesnt apply to me i dont think 5) this is the first time in my life im applying for any type of student loan 6) my academic status says "clear", my gpa is above 2.0 7) have never attended another college, i have 6 credits completed in total all at miami dade 8) i do have a high school diploma.

this is really weird, i guess ill find out tomorrow what the problem is
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,001 Senior Member
    Hmmm. Did you indicate female on your FAFSA? If you don't, that can be an issue (some people leave gender blank, and it has to be updated to be official). Another idea ... I did not realize that you were at Miami Dade already (assumed first semester freshman). Did you drop any classes? That might be the problem ... you might not have made satisfactory academic progress. See this link: http://www.mdc.edu/main/images/Standards%20of%20Academic%20Progress%20revised%20for%20review%203_tcm6-64084.pdf.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Registered User Posts: 15,941 Senior Member
    When you got the 6 credits, did you withdraw from or drop any classes?
    yes i went over my FAFSA carefully and everything looks in place.
    im considered a freshman because i have only 6 credits completed that count towards my AA, i have taken remedial classes before at miami dade but i thought since those didnt count towards the degree they werent considered towards financial aid eligibility either, either way i satisfy the 67% requirement having earned 36 out of 45...
    When you got the 6 credits, did you withdraw from or drop any classes?

yes, i registered for 9 passed 2 and got and Incomplete on the other one but the professor was nice and he withdrew me, so it shows up as IW
    That might be the problem. Check your school's SAP (satisfactory academic progress) policy. The SAP policy is a the policy that the school has for determining eligibility for FA. They usually include a minimum GPA, a minimum % of credits attempted that must be successfully completed, and a maximum # of credits that can be attempted. If you signed up for 9 hours and dropped one, your completion rate is 66.666%. Some schools require a higher completion rate than that to be eligible for FA.

Even if that is the cause, you should be able to appeal.
    http://www.mdc.edu/main/images/Standards%20of%20Academic%20Progress%20revised%20for%20review%203_tcm6-64084.pdf

looks like that may be the problem. Miami Dade requires a 67% successful completion rate.

Oh wait, I somehow missed your post #7. How do you have 36 out of 45 if you were only signed up for 9 and now have 6 credits? I'm confused.
    your right, that might be the problem but i will have a heart attack if they dont round up 66.6 to 67% lol.

ill let you all know tomorrow
    36 out 45 are remedial credits, no GPA is calculated from that nor do they show towards my AA
This discussion has been closed.