Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What's up with Sallie Mae?

ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
edited September 2012 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
S has some subsidized federal Stafford/Direct loans. All paperwork is done. Loan money is at his school, all is well.

Lately he's getting all this mail (here at home) from Sallie Mae inviting him to get a debit card and all kinds of stuff.

What's up with that? Is this basically trying to get him to borrow more? I've been inclined to throw it out, any reason not to?
Post edited by ohiobassmom on

Replies to: What's up with Sallie Mae?

• 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,602 Senior Member
    Debit card or credit card?

Does he has a account with Sallie Mae?

I would throw them out.
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    Seemed like a "debit card" on loan money (except all his loan money went straight to tuition/R&B). I think it was a lead in to borrow more.
  • mom6350mom6350 Registered User Posts: 129 Junior Member
    These must be just general solicitations to college students, because my son has received several of them in the mail recently, too. As soon as they arrive, into the shredder they go....
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 33,489 Senior Member
    If he's under 21, I think that's illegal. IIRC, the new credit card laws make it illegal to solicit credit cards and such to those under 21. I could be remembering incorrectly.

Also, I get tons of offers from credit card companies all the time. They're just generic.

If he already has a credit card, just throw it out. If he doesn't, this is an excellent time to look into credit cards to build his credit :). Some of the terms are quite favorable.
  • ohiobassmomohiobassmom Registered User Posts: 1,401 Senior Member
    mom that's what I thought. I've gotten rid of them so far.
This discussion has been closed.