Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Over 24 and live at home?

beckhansenbeckhansen Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am currently 27, unfortunately live at home, and have completed a BA from a UC that my parents are thankfully paying off.

However, after graduation in 2008 I realized that I wanted to start my own business in an artistic field, and would like to return to a Jr. College to learn, meet connections, and get an AA in my field.

I make under $10k a year in my business and most of that goes to investment in gear and whatnot. I do not want to ask my parents for help as they have already done enough and I am not utilizing that degree.


If I am over 24, but live at home and want to get a BOGW or fasfa aid, am I able to do so without claiming my parents income if they will not financially assist me in this endeavor?
Post edited by beckhansen on

Replies to: Over 24 and live at home?

  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Registered User Posts: 1,976 Senior Member
    The good news is that since you are over 24 your are automatically independent for FA purposes. The bad news is that since you already have a bachelor's degree you are not eligible for the Pell grant because it is only for undergraduates pursuing their first bachelors degree. You would still be eligible for federal stafford loans, until you hit the lifetime limit.If you are classified as an independent student, the lifetime limit is $57,500. If you're classified as a dependent student, the lifetime limit is $31,000. These are both for undergraduate programs. The lifetime limit for a graduate or professional program is $138,500 or $224,000 for health professionals only. Have you considered entering into a graduate program instead of pursuing an associates? It's another option. Here's the site with the information on stafford loans and the lifetime limits: Stafford Loan Information | StaffordLoan.com
  • beckhansenbeckhansen Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I see thank you. For my situation I feel a local JC AA would be far more beneficial and I could avoid piling on more loans.

    Does anyone know if I would be eligible for a BOGW (Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver)? Specifically - Los Rios Community College District

    It lists "Number in Household and Total Family Income" but why should this matter if I am self employed, over 24, and my parents would not assist with fees. Together the family would qualify as over the limit, but if I am independent going on my personal business income, I am well below the limit.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,367 Senior Member
    Do you need to study full time? Most people in your situation would enroll for only as many classes each term as they can pay for out of pocket.

    Speak with an admissions counselor at this CCC, and find out how many classes you would need to take in order to receive an AA. Then think carefully about whether you need a full degree, or just certain courses are necessary for your goals.
  • juilletjuillet Super Moderator Posts: 11,599 Super Moderator
    I'm curious as to what field you are in that an AA would be better than an MA professionally. I can think of no such field. Even in a field like nursing right now it's far better to earn a BSN than an ADN. In an artistic field, I'm almost positive you would meet better connections at a university than a two-year junior college.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,367 Senior Member
    juillet - Depending on the previous degree, it can be necessary to start over at zero. I know a humanities Ph.D. who subsequently earned an A.S. in Horticulture because the practical skills offered in that program matched what was needed for a career change.
  • KenderKender Registered User Posts: 1,114 Senior Member
    Yes, you're eligible for BOG even with the Bachelors. You could have a masters or PhD and still be eligible. BOG is only dependent on meeting an income ceiling (it is very low for independents with no dependents, I don't know the exact cut off). Remember that it will only cover your course educational fees and not any other associated fees. There is no lifetime limit on how much you can use BOG, but obviously this could always change. There have been various attempts over the past several years to limit BOG eligibility from the very generous limitations it currently still maintains.

    I recommend submitting both a BOG waiver form and a FAFSA. Sometimes the former does not always guarantee that one's financial situation will be seen accurately even if one qualifies for BOG.
  • beckhansenbeckhansen Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    @juillet - I run a small video production / videography business and have a BA in History. While I agree there will be better connections in a University, I do not want 40k in debt and just want to learn a few tricks, meet some people, and build my business.

    @Kender, thank you for the info, but as you mention the income ceiling, if I live with my parents do I need to put 4 people in my household (which will fail the BOGW) or since I am over 24 and they will not contribute, can I just list 1 person (which will qualify me)?
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,530 Super Moderator
    No, you only put 1 in your family ... you are considered your own family for FAFSA purposes. You are independent due to your age, even if you don't actually live on your own.
This discussion has been closed.