Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Survivors Benefits & Need-Based Grants

caffeinateddcaffeinatedd Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hi all,
I'm starting to look at colleges and money is a huge issue for me. My father died in 2005 and my mother is unemployed. However, my family receives monthly Social Security "Survivors Benefits" checks but to my knowledge, that money does not have to be addressed in your FAFSA.
My grades are high and I will probably be the valedictorian of my graduating class; do you think that I will fare well when applying for financial aid?
Does anyone have experience in a similar situation?
Thanks xx
Post edited by caffeinatedd on

Replies to: Survivors Benefits & Need-Based Grants

  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,518 Senior Member
    There are several threads in this forum on the topic of Guaranteed Merit-based Scholarships. In some cases those are true free rides (tuition, fees, housing, meals, book allowance). Read through those threads and see if you qualify for any of those scholarships. Some have early cut-off dates, so you will need to apply soon if you will start college in 2013.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,611 Senior Member
    What are your test scores?

    You should apply to some of the schools that give large merit for your stats.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,557 Super Moderator
    SS payments are generally not all that much. Any untaxed SS payments are NOT reported anywhere on the FAFSA. Taxed payments are on the IRS form 1040, which is used to complete the FAFSA. Do you know what your mom's AGI was for 2011? Did you have to file a tax return in 2011? If so, what was your AGI?
  • emeraldkity4emeraldkity4 Registered User Posts: 35,861 Senior Member
    Survivor benefits for children only continue until two months after your 19th birthday or until you graduate high school.
    Whichever comes first.
This discussion has been closed.