Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Parents Decided to Not Pay Last Minute

Replies to: Parents Decided to Not Pay Last Minute

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,204 Forum Champion
    About weekend employment- much easier to work on campus, no transpo issues, no worrying about weather; college jobs allow for flexibility when you have a big paper, project or exam. And, often you get to work with and meet other kids.

I agree with working on campus. Don't know if this student got work-study. If so, look for those jobs ASAP...they often run out.

But, if no work study, then look to see if the school hires tutors. My kids worked as tutors for 7 semesters (took fall frosh semester off). It was great. Flexible hours, they could study when students didn't show up for appts.

PLUS...the hidden benefit for premeds who tutor chem and bio is that you're getting constant reinforcement.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    By the time you see this, you’ll likely already be moved in. I just wanted to say congratulations to you on you and your dad coming up with a way to make this happen . . . and best of luck to you as you start your new life!!!
  • momfrommemomfromme Registered User Posts: 2,669 Senior Member
    It's super this got resolved.

However, the student should report this new scholarship to BU. Doing so might then lead them to inrease the parental contribution.

I hate to bring this up but I do think it's necessary.

What do others think?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,204 Forum Champion
    ^^^

At this point, I wouldn't upset the apple cart. He hasn't gotten the aid yet and won't get it for awhile. I don't think it matters because this student's aid was merit based, not need based.

Never heard of doing so and it causing an increase in parent contribution. I've heard of it reducing need-based aid...but I don't think the student got that. The student says that his dad makes a high income and he's the only one in college now.

If later he reports it and it causes some issue, then at least he'll be in the semester and the dad will likely pay it because having him leave mid-semester would be ridiculous.

Very likely, the check is made out to the school anyway...so they'd know about it when they get it.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,978 Senior Member
    Yikes. For the record,
    "If you receive an additional award from outside Boston University, your need-based aid will be reduced only if your total aid, from all sources, exceeds your calculated financial eligibility. Any reduction will be made to self-help (need-based student loan, or Federal Work-Study) first, and to grant only if the outside award exceeds your total self-help."
    your need-based aid will be reduced only .....

He said that the BU aid was merit. And, since he the check hasn't yet been rec'd, there is nothing to report. What if the source changes its mind??
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 29,978 Senior Member
    Not disagreeing, but the specific mention of merit was another poster. OP said "scholarships."
    Well, typically scholarships are merit based except at HYPS type schools that call their FA "scholarships".

The student says that his dad makes a good income, so the fact that most of his costs were covered by "scholarships" suggests merit.

Also, since he hasn't gotten ANYTHING from this new source, there is NOTHING to report right now.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Registered User Posts: 7,311 Senior Member
    Sheesh . . . give the kid a chance to unpack!
    ^^^

I agree!

If anything, his loans would be replaced by the scholarship....and then he still could take the loans to cover the shortfall.
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 35,297 Senior Member
    If it does turn out that the parent contribution goes up... maybe dad WILL pony up once the OP is dropped off at school and in classes. But I do agree that he will eventually need to report it to BU, and it is possible it could have an impact on his other scholarships.
    I don't see how parent contribution could increase. The parent contribution was $8k after his institutional scholarship award. how would that now increase with a new merit scholarship? If anything, it would stay the same.

I wonder if this student is a URM? BU was unusually generous. His stats are very good, but not top for BU. However, if he is hooked in some fashion, then perhaps he was awarded some fabulous diversity scholarship.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 72,297 Senior Member
    He needs to take,those loans first. Right now they are not IN his package...so they are not there to be reduced.
  • arabrabarabrab Registered User Posts: 5,961 Senior Member
    OP -- I hope you had a good move-in day. Good luck!
  • AHSTeacherAHSTeacher Registered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    OP,
    Check with the college's disability services and see if you can be a note taker. My children made some easy money by taking careful notes in their classes and then submitting them to that office. This also helped them to get better grades in the process. Watch all expenses and make careful choices. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.