Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Which documents do i need to submit for the financial aid?

gowthamguthagowthamgutha Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
edited September 2013 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I am an International student from India applying for undergraduate in the United States. I would like to know the list of documents that i need to submit for applying financial aid in the US Universities.

Kindly, reply me.
Post edited by gowthamgutha on

Replies to: Which documents do i need to submit for the financial aid?

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,457 Senior Member
    We really can't answer that question. You need to look on the financial aid section of each college website (for schools you are applying to). The list of required submissions for financial aid and the deadlines will be listed there. And they are likely NOT the same for,every school...so check them all!
  • Ghost95Ghost95 Registered User Posts: 157 Junior Member
    Start by getting accepted first ... Only after that can you apply for financial aid [ someone please correct me if I am wrong]
  • carmen617carmen617 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    You are wrong Ghost - most schools have you submit your financial aid application at the same time as your admissions application. Schools that would offer financial aid to international students most definitely want that information prior to making an admissions decision. The original advice to check with each school and see what is required and when is correct.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,457 Senior Member
    Ghost...you are dead wrong. A number of things wrong with your advice. First...most students need financial aid information to make their matriculation decision by May 1, and acceptances often don't come out until some time in April. If the student waits until after acceptances, they will NOT have a financial aid package before May 1. Second, MOST colleges have deadlines for financial aid applicants that are well before the final date that applications are accepted. You do NOT want to miss financial aid (or admission) deadlines because if you do, you jeopardize your chances of receiving aid. Three, (this does not apply to international students who can't receive these....but for others) there are a number of federally funded need based awards that have very limited funding per college. These are awarded on a first come/first serve basis. These include federal work study, Perkins loans, SEOG (if the school has it).

    For U.S. citizens and those with permanent residence status...FAFSA should be filed using a "will file" status ASAP after January 1 when it becomes available for submission. This will get the student in the queue so to speak. The FAFSA will need to be updated ASAP after taxes are completed which needs to be as close to February 1 as possible.

    The Profile (if required) needs to be completed within the deadline shown by the colleges.

    And one more thing...if the student is applying EA or ED, there is likely an early priority filing date for the Profile. This would be as early as November 1.

    As an international student, you will be required to show that you have funds to pay for the entire year in order to get a visa to study here. This can include awarded financial aid and approved loans...it it you will need this evidence sooner than later.

    Back to my original advice...read each college website for required submissions and deadlines.

    Do NOT wait until you get accepted to apply for financial aid.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    ^Ghost95 is only 18 years old. He / she might not apply to colleges before.

    Op, why don't you tell us what schools you're interested?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,330 Senior Member
    Each college and university sets its own policy about the documentation that it will require. And that policy can change from one year to the next, or it may be dependent on the country that an international student lives in. So this means that you really do indeed need to ask each college and university that you are going to apply to which documents they will want and how they want them sent. Do not be surprised if each place gives you different instructions. Just follow them.
  • gowthamguthagowthamgutha Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @4kidsdad, Here are the list of colleges

    University of Chicago
    Columbia University
    California Institute of Technology
    University of California, Berkeley

    Thanks for the replies.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    University of California, Berkeley See UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office » International Students
    International students are not eligible for University, state, or federal financial aid. Only students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens are eligible for financial aid.
  • gowthamguthagowthamgutha Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @4kidsdad, University of California, Berkeley replaced by University of Pennsylvania. Is it good?
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    California Institute of Technology See International Students - Caltech Caltech Financial Aid Office
    CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE Application
    Due Date: February 1, 2014

    Parents’ 2013 National Income Tax Return
    Due Date: January 15, 2014

    International Freshman Financial Aid Statement of Intent
    Due Date: January 15, 2014

    Caltech Scholarship Data Form
    Due Date: July 15, 2014
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Columbia University See Welcome | Columbia Financial Aid and Educational Financing
    CSS Profile
    Complete 2011 Tax Returns
    Complete 2012 Tax Returns
    Non-Custodial Profile (if applicable)
    Business/Farm Information (if applicable)
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Yale See Yale University Financial Aid > Prospective & Transfer Students > Early Action Application Guidelines for Non-Canadian International Students or Yale University Financial Aid > Prospective & Transfer Students > Regular Decision for International Students
    Yale Financial Aid Application
    There is no Institutional Financial Aid Application required at this time. A supplemental application will be sent to matriculated students in May.

    2014–2015 CSS Profile Application
    (Available October 1)

    Parents’ 2012 tax return(s)

    International Noncustodial Parent Statement (Only required if your parents are divorced, separated, or were never married.)

    International Business Supplement
    (Only required if your parent(s) are self-employed or own a business.)
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    University of Chicago See https://collegeadmissions.uchicago.edu/costs/international.shtml
    1.The International Student Financial Aid Application (ISFAA) (pdf).

    2.Financial aid forms are due by the application deadline. For Early Action: November 1st
    For Regular Decision: February 18, 2013

    No other forms are required. International Aid applicants should NOT submit the CSS Profile or the FAFSA.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    Princeton See Apply for Financial Aid | Princeton University
    1. Complete the Princeton Financial Aid Application (PFAA) on the web

    The PFAA is free and easy to use for both U.S. and international applicants. Links to detailed instructions on how to access and complete the online application are located on the right hand side of this page.

    2. Send a copy of your parents' 2013 tax return and W-2 statements

    Once you submit the PFAA, you'll receive an acknowledging e-mail that includes a six digit Application Number. Write this number on your parents' tax documents and e-mail, fax or mail them directly to our office.

    If you are an early action applicant, or a regular decision applicant whose parents have not yet filed their 2013 tax forms, please send the 2012 tax documents. These will suffice until the 2013 tax return is available.

    3. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
    If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, complete the FAFSA which is available at Home - FAFSA on the Web-Federal Student Aid.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Registered User Posts: 4,584 Senior Member
    MIT See MIT - Student Financial Services
    All documentation sent to MIT should include a completed cover letter.

    Designate MIT as a recipient by using our CSS code number of 3514 and answer the CSS Supplemental Questions specific to MIT. If your parents are separated or divorced, fill out the Profile with your custodial parent's information.

    Non-Custodial Parent's Information
    Your non-custodial parent must submit a separate copy of the College Board International Student Financial Aid Application (this can be obtained by contacting our office), separate parent income tax returns or wage statements and, if necessary, a CSS Business/Farm Supplement.

    Parents' 2012 Income Tax Returns or wage statement (translated into English)

    Send a signed copy of all pages of your parents' most recent income tax returns, if applicable, to Student Financial Services. You may email a scanned copy of a non-U.S. tax return to intldocs@mit.edu.

    If your country does not have an annual income tax form, send a letter from each parent's employer stating the annual salary earned in local currency.

    Translate all materials into English, but report the amounts in your local currency.

    CSS Business/Farm Supplement
This discussion has been closed.