Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Scholarships reality

2»

Replies to: Scholarships reality

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,580 Senior Member
    I think this thread is "What I used to think, like many of my peers, vs. what I found out".
    For instance, OP found out the total number you earn in scholarship doesn't matter, but rather the total you have left to pay, hence "state schools are already discounted, so no generous scholarships compared to private ones." = you are likely to get a lower amount from your in-state school because it's already discounted, vs. privates.

More details are necessary, such as: out of state is not discounted. it all depends what "privates" you're talking about (Davis&Elkins vs. Duke, for instance).
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    I have seen families that have a zero EFC get combined parent and student expected contributions of over $10K at times. So it would not surprise me to see families at the $40-60K range being asked to come up with more than they can Heck, we see families making well in the 6 figure range, $200-400K saying they can only come up with maybe $10K a year for whatever reason, and so asking someone making mid 5 figure incomes for a quarter or a third of what they make is truly a tough nut for them to make. And, yes, I am talking about some very good schools here. Miniumum student contributions are at about the $4K range even for student coming from zero EFC situations.

I don't know anyone who will deliberately lower income and get rid of assets to get more finanical aid for kids. The risks, of not getting enough even with top of the line kids (in terms of academic numbers) are way too high and the overall hit to standard of living make it non worth while And yet many will complain that those who are "poorer" are getting a bonanza from the system. Well, it's easy enough to get yourself in position to get this "bonanza". Not going the other way, however. But no one does it.
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,830 Super Moderator
    @PurpleTitan‌ the majority of public schools don't have the funding to offer full rides or full tuition. Perhaps most flagship Us do but IMO the directional's don't. I put a 4.0 and a 36 ACT into a local college's NPC and got a $6K scholarship.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,754 Senior Member
    @Erin's Dad‌ : Most publics don't have automatic full-tuition/full-ride scholarships, but many have competitive full-tuition/full-ride scholarships. Therefore, they offer some full-tuition/full-ride scholarships (usually a fairly small number of them). I've yet to find a directional that doesn't offer at least a full-tuition scholarship of some kind, actually.
2»
This discussion has been closed.