Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Princeton net price calc more $$ than collegeboard EFC calc?

2»

Replies to: Princeton net price calc more $$ than collegeboard EFC calc?

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,523 Senior Member
    Did you run the npc for Amherst or Cornell? They had good numbers for us. Also any interest in U Rochester or U Richmond?
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,546 Senior Member
    Not yet mommdc, I'll check them out. Thanks!
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    Do you have an non custodial parent in the picture, does a parent own a business and are there some unusual investments? NCPs can be wildy inaccurate if some unusual situations are at hand. And schools will handle those situations at times on an individual basis that can differ by quite a bit. A poster got NO aid from Swarthmore which is a generous school, overall, was resigned to go to state U when Carlton, another selective LAC came up with a very nice package. That's why ED can be risky. You just never know what you could be getting as your best deal and if that is something that can make a big difference, comparing packages can be important in saving a lot of money.
  • scholarmescholarme Registered User Posts: 2,546 Senior Member
    No, our situation is very typical. Married, ordinary job, no business or farm, 2 kids. The investments are just stocks; its kind of a hobby for H.
  • CCDD14CCDD14 Registered User Posts: 1,084 Senior Member
    Not applicable to OP but Princeton NPC can handle two separate parent households. It does not produce "wildly inaccurate" results.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,737 Senior Member
    @cptofthehouse - scholarme's kid is thinking to apply to Princeton EA, not ED.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    OHmom, the question to which I was directing my response was "Could my kid get accepted to say Penn and get socked with full tuition?" Not the risks of applying EA to Princeton or any EA schools where one can wait and get all the offers on the table to compare. Wasn't directly answering that either, but asking questions as to why the OP might be getting different numbers on NPCs.

Schools can have very different ways of calculating need. Even the most generous schools can have certain situations that they evaluated on a more stringent basis than other schools. I have a friend, and I have referred to his situation in the past, who had to retire early, and put his money into apartment buidings. His family lived on a modest income as most private colleges who have good aid would define it and Harvard out and out guarantees those who make under that threshhold to pretty much get a full package. But...with caveats and exceptions. The buildings which generate that income are assets, and though represent the family's retirement nest egg, and also assets that are difficult to get any mortgage or loans against have a sufficient market value to make that student ineligible for Harvard financial aid. But selling a unit, means a cut in family income (as would any loan against it). Harvard refused to budge. A CC poster Evilrobot found himself in the same position with Yale with such assets and income.

But other schools were willing to "talk" and come up with money and give some mighty nice aid packages. So even the most generous school can come up short depending on the asset situation and their particular rules.
2»
This discussion has been closed.