Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can changing my program to a degree I already qualify for reset limits on completion rate?

dubious9dubious9 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
I am currently ineligible for financial aid after withdrawing from and failing two courses last semester. According to a financial aid office email my completion rate is shown as 88.79 and my GPA is 2.68. Last year I was speaking with a financial aid office admin about being very close to exceeding…something. She said it was'nt the 150% maximum allowed credit hours, nor the lifetime Pell limit of 6 years. Perhaps it was the completion rate of 88.79? But she said that if I earn a degree it will reset something. They checked with the registrar over the phone and it became known that I do in fact have enough credits to be eligible for a very over broad degree they offer at my college; it includes both conventional/gen. ed. courses plus college level vocational technical classes – I am two classes away from a vo./tech. degree plus I am 7 classes from getting an Associate of Science/University Ticket.
Please let me know if you think that changing my program to a degree I qualify for will reset my completion rate of 88.79…what about the 150% cap on credits?

Replies to: Can changing my program to a degree I already qualify for reset limits on completion rate?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,742 Super Moderator
    Talk to your school about the options you have. Your post shows you are unsure about what tripwires you are close to. They will have all the records and options available to you.
  • dubious9dubious9 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I was posting specifically because I am unsure what 'trip wires' I am close to. There aren't many options available once you are disqualified for financial aid. In my case I actually qualify for one degree but not the one I want. I'm unsure if the trip wire is the rate of completion. Suppose that for a given (2 year Associates) degree program I have numerous courses attempted and not enough of them were completed successfully and I'm no longer eligible for financial aid. However I could change my program to one which I will complete a degree (also 2 year Associates). After earning that degree...If I wanted aid for a new degree; would I now be similar to a student who got a degree and came back for another one?
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,065 Senior Member
    It sounds like your aid officer was referring to the new 150% subsidized loan limits. If you were a new borrower as of 7/1/13, you are affected by the rules. The rules can be very confusing. Here is a link to the federal 150% presentation: http://fsaconferences.ed.gov/2014sessions.html. Find the powerpoint for "GS4. Overview of 150% Direct Subsidized Loan Limits." There are some examples in the presentation that may help you understand.
    Thanks for the input. I have read up on the 150% rule. There say a program is 60 hours. 150% is 90 hours...if have over 30 hours worth of unsuccessful attempts I am ineligible. That is a glaring likelihood. However, they mentioned as the reason in an email for my ineligibility as per the satisfactory academic progress review as having exceeded the maximum amount of time to complete my degree. Also, my completion rate is mentioned as 89.79 and my GPA as 2.68. I am only in need of a Pell Grant this semester and according to NSLDS my Pell Lifetime Eligibility is currently 563%. So...what I am trying to find out is what effect changing my program to a degree I qualify for would have on things like the 150% and/or completion rate (Satisfactory Academic Progress).
    I know that the rules for financial aid eligibility are not a light topic. Maybe you could tell me weather a financial aid administrator is likely to provide the last 36% ($1998) to a student who wants to finance their education for one last semester.
  • kgos16kgos16 Registered User Posts: 862 Member
    @dubious9‌ There isn't any way to guess if your appeal for more aid would be approved or not. If you school dips in to retention funding to help finance the rest of your education, that will be the individual school's decision, as it is their funding they would be awarding you. It would be best to take this up with your school to determine what your next steps would be regarding some sort of appeal.
    Hello thanks for the insight. I'm not talking about an appeal. That is only for certain issues like having been in the hospital. My circumstances however are unique enough that I should be able to get the decision to deny my financial aid obviated. Obviated by applying for a degree that I am qualified for. I'm thinking perhaps the credits that go toward the completed degree won't be counted when calculating maximum time frame or the 150% limit on credit hours. I have currently exceeded this limit and am hoping for a way to use the credits I have to qualify for a different degree (not the one of the two I was working on before losing financial aid).
This discussion has been closed.