Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Request for waiver of Noncustodial Parent Profile

TigernanaTigernana Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Do these waivers generally apply only if there is no contact with the noncustodial parent? What if there is contact but the noncustodial parent says he cannot contribute? What if he has already filled out a NCP form? What if he is not a US citizen, is behind on child support and, because he lives outside of the country, cannot be taken to court?

Replies to: Request for waiver of Noncustodial Parent Profile

  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,432 Senior Member
    It depends upon the school. When you apply for a NCP waiver, you have to contact each school that requires NCP financial info and ask what they require to grant the waiver. You could ask 10 schools and get any number refuse you the waiver, and any number grant it to you. That a non custodial parent says he cannot or will not contribute is usually not going to be taken into account, since any parent can say the same. Many parents do, whether they are are NCPs or CPs. Makes no difference whether they can or will contribute. It just matters if the numbers of their financials come out to them being able to contribute by formula. It depends upon other circumstances if the parent has already filled out a NCP form. If he filled out the form but has had no other contact, given no other support, meets other NCP waiver requirements for a given college, it might not matter. Doesn't matter if s/he is not a US citizen. Doesn't matter if behind on child support. Doesn't matter if parent cannot be taken to court.

    So it depends upon each school's specific requirements. I suggest you call each of your intended schools' financial aid offices and ask them for what they require for a NCP waiver and give them what they need, and see what happens.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,136 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    If your parent has already completed a NCP Profile, it is unlikely you will get a waiver.

    None of the reasons you note above would be the basis for a waiver.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,308 Super Moderator
    Based on what OP has written, it is unlikely that s/he will receive a waiver.
This discussion has been closed.