Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Fafsa spreadsheet

12346»

Replies to: Fafsa spreadsheet

• Hanting1929Hanting1929 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    can you send spreadsheet to [email protected] Thanks
  • dscottvbdscottvb Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    @Hanting1929 Read post #73; the links are there. It is rarely a good idea to post email addresses in public forums like this.
  • rgosulargosula Registered User Posts: 641 Member
    Posting links at bottom of the thread.

2018-2019 FAFSA spreadsheet : document id : http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Z-pPX4-i5vYWxVS3J2RGU5UzQ
    2017-2018 FAFSA spreadsheet : document id : http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Z-pPX4-i5vUy1jRk9XNkl5TW8
    2016-2017 FAFSA spreadsheet : document id : http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Z-pPX4-i5vdmtmNE15RzFnNXc
    2015-2016 FAFSA spreadsheet : document id : http://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4Z-pPX4-i5veHRZWUk3dzFHRkk
  • tallgrasstallgrass Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    @rgosula First off, I wanted to thank you! I used your spreadsheet a year ago to estimate 2018-2019 FA, and it was of great help. It wasn’t as close as with your kids, but it was in the ballpark. I am now trying to project our FA for 2019-2020 (will do FAFSA in October) and am struggling with 2 issues:

1. Family size: 2 parents, 2 kids. The older kid will graduate next year (2019). So I know that number of kids in college will be 1 (the younger one that will be freshman this fall of 2018). What I don’t know is what family size do I use? Will it be 3 bc older one graduated, or 4 because I will have supported him for more than 6 months in 2019 (assuming he gets a job in August or later)? I have no idea when he will start working and supporting himself.

2. Our income for 2017 was entirely traditional IRA withdrawal, so 1099-R equals our AGI. No earned income by either parent, no FICA taxes, no untaxed income. No matter what I do, the sheet is throwing off really weird numbers. Can you please advise how to correctly fill parent income section when the only income is retirement income?

Thank you (or anyone else) for help on this!
  • UrbanMumUrbanMum Registered User Posts: 74 Junior Member
    Icbihtsu -
    You definitely don’t need to worry about selling your house. And when they ask for savings, they expect you to contribute approximately 5k for every 100k in savings - that’s just a guideline. They don’t expect you to give up everything to send your child to college; they just want to know how much you can reasonably contribute.
  • akshayness33akshayness33 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 17
    Hello, I would really appreciate the spreadsheet
    My email is (taken out)
    Thank you!
    Edit- I got it now thank you!
  • Liliara__Liliara__ Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    How long did it take for you to get fafsa ? Because I submitted my fafsa in October and I’m In July and still haven’t heard back
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,182 Senior Member
    @Liliara__ Have you checked your FAFSA webpage? Your answer should be there. Our answer was almost immediate, although they never contacted us.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 618 Member
    Does anyone have a spreadsheet template for planning the cash flows needed to pay for college that tracks scholarships, loans, tax credits, checking balance, tuition, room/board, indirect cost/books etc.? I built one, but apparently it only makes sense to me (no matter how many times I try to explain it). ;-)
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,336 Senior Member
    edited July 19
    @Liliara__

I would call your college's financial aid office today to make sure they received your FAFSA and that you don't have outstanding items to complete like income verification.

Did you ever receive a financial aid award letter?

Have you been checking your email account for messages from your school?
12346»