Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Raise.me - one parent's report on how it works and whether it's worth it

Replies to: Raise.me - one parent's report on how it works and whether it's worth it

• oldbrookieoldbrookie Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    It does seem to synch up with the new coalition app goals. I don't know. Too much uneven power.
  • laraleilaralei Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    Found the Huffington Post article asinine for the most part.

Basically kids should be "exploring" instead of concerning themselves with finances. Wish we DID live in a world like that! Too good to be true or misleading on the awards? Why? If awards were never given, I could see the skepticism, but there is no evidence of that.

Biggest problem I have w/ raise.me is it seems geared for upper income/privileged students. Nice awards for AP classes: our HS offers very few, and they are often scheduled at the same time, so DD loses a LOT of potential awards there.

Also, EC's need to be at be 2-3 hours per week. Other than sports, there are very few EC's even at her school, and most only meet for an hour a week, if that. So she loses there as well.

I am thinking she probably won't come out any better than what the schools would have given her anyway. That was probably the best point made in the Huffington article.

We will continue entering data, just to see the final numbers. Curiosity at this point more so than any real expectations of significant scholarships, which is what she needs.
  • haleybreihaleybrei Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited January 2017
    Could this program increase my chances of a denial? I'm worried that I might be denied.
  • DiotimaDMDiotimaDM Registered User Posts: 1,471 Senior Member
    It shouldn't have any bearing on admission at all, and if it does, it should be in a positive way as it will count as displaying interest.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 20,593 Senior Member
    I agree that schools shouldn't hold the award against you. The school agreed to the program to encourage students to be involved in high school activities and get good grades. It seems that the schools participating often give even more in merit than the students involved in this program get, but this program might be a way for lower stats students to get the merit awards for EC participation, service hours, less traditional classes.
  • 2collegeboundkid2collegeboundkid Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My daughter is in her first year of university. She received a merit scholarship that covered most of her classes. Raise me covered the rest PLUS books, lab fees, etc. Just have to find schools that accept it.
    Second daughter not going to school that has raise me available. :-(
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    @2collegeboundkid So for your older daughter, the Raise.me award stacked with the merit scholarship?
  • suzyQ7suzyQ7 Registered User Posts: 3,768 Senior Member
    Also, if anyone has a raise.me account and would like to kindly post a list of schools that participate in Raise.me - that would be great. I don't want to sign up if non of the schools my kids are interested in are not listed.

Thank you
  • ventana10ventana10 Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    I was on Umass Lowell's website looking at scholarships offered. They mentioned Raise.me. You have to update info before October of your senior year otherwise you will miss some schools download date. It is nice to have a guarantee of the minimum merit you will receive if you go there. There really are too many schools that participate to list here. If you search based on micro-scholarships then you won't pull up any schools that don't participate.
  • DiotimaDMDiotimaDM Registered User Posts: 1,471 Senior Member
    edited April 2017
    @suzyQ7 It's hundreds of schools. Examples: Michigan State, Rollins, Wooster, Kenyon (pretty sure on Kenyon), Tulane, Southwestern, Juniata, etc. I haven't seen any tippy-tops. No HPYS, no Williams or Swarthmore that I recall. Either WPI or RPI, can't remember which, but one of them does.
  • traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    Last I checked, both RPI and WPI are on raise.me. WPI is on my son's radar so I've been keeping up a raise.me profile for him. @suzyQ7, I don't think you need to register on the site to see which schools participate so you can just check it out for yourself. Definitely too many to list here.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 11,919 Senior Member
    Thanks a lot, @Gatormama. Some good schools there though it is a question whether, if you run the RaiseMe figures high, it will start erasing some other grants from a college.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 1,059 Senior Member
    Yeah, that's the big unknown @PurpleTitan ... I think it's probably different for each college and I guess you find out when you're at the end of game. Kind of risky. Or not? Blech.