right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
JOIN US for the "Ask The Expert" live event w/ the CC Dean, Sally Rubenstone, on Feb. 22 at 12:00 pm ET. Registered members can ask their questions NOW!

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• albert69albert69 3191 replies56 threads Senior Member
    @DesperateMomDad Is your son planning to pay the difference between the *sniff* backup schools *sniff* and the OOS school? His major could make a difference in the choice, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 42352 replies455 threads Senior Member
    I'd pick Rutgers over njit because the area is not one where you want to spend time in, it's partially unsafe partially depressing in a "gutted community" kind of vibe. The campus itself is rundown but it's the environment. We can compare it to Temple, but Temple has Philadelphia and a great campus that they make sure is very safe.
    Rutgers however is a perfectly good choice.
    Now, did the son apply to merit scholarships at the oos school ? Is the cost of the school within the budget you'd provided -if you hadn't provided one, are you able to pay for the other school, is it a surprise for him, is he only learning now that there's such a thing as a budget?
    · Reply · Share
    *Is not rundown, ".... a word was dropped
    · Reply · Share
  • DesperateMomDadDesperateMomDad 2 replies0 threads New Member
    My son wants to take Biomedica Engineering. A GPA of 4.0 and ACT is 35. He applied for scholarship and was offered
    half of the OOS tuition excluding room and board. We save some money to pay for 2years worth of schooling but the rest will be his parents working overtime and him geting student loan. I just want him to think wisely but his thoughts are that he will recover the money if he goes to the better school and that are the OOS schools.
    · Reply · Share
    If you can pay the first two years without his borrowing, and you won't borrow for the oos school to which he gets a scholarship, the oos school sounds doable financially. Is the oos ABET accredited ? Is there some concrete criteria that indicate it is "better" indeed ?
    · Reply · Share
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 14268 replies297 threads Senior Member
    @DesperateMomDad wrote
    My son wants to take Biomedica Engineering. A GPA of 4.0 and ACT is 35...
    I just want him to think wisely...
    Then he should think long and hard about biomedical engineering. It's an "engineering lite" degree w poor job prospects w/o a graduate degree.

· Reply · Share
  • MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons 3934 replies25 threads Senior Member
    @Midwest67 , true enough-it's an impossible reality so who's to say. The whole perfection mentality now that's so pervasive is really troubling, I agree.
    · Reply · Share
  • 50N40W50N40W 960 replies3 threads Member
    To @Mom2aphysicsgeek 's point, I work with a graduate of a non-flagship state u who was the boss of a guy with an ivy league bs/ms combo. It was one of the lesser ivies, but still...
    Get an ABET undergrad where the student can graduate debt free - sounds like excellent advice to me.
    · Reply · Share
  • albert69albert69 3191 replies56 threads Senior Member
    》》he should think long and hard about biomedical engineering. It's an "engineering lite" degree w poor job prospects w/o a graduate degree. 《《

You mean you've done it, @GMTplus7 , you've identified the easiest engineering degree?? (Aka the "lite") 8-> :> :))
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7949 replies158 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Oops, wrong thread!
    edited February 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • NUwildcat92NUwildcat92 148 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I just read this entire thread over the past 24 hours, and it is without a doubt one of the most useful "doses of reality" here on CC. It should be pinned at the top of this forum, IMHO. Many thanks to @mom2collegekids for starting it, and the many contributors who shared their stories!

Over the next few weeks, many acceptance letters and FA decisions will be revealed to aspiring students throughout the country. Here's hoping that many families will make wise decisions, and not cripple themselves financially for years to come.
    · Reply · Share
  • am9799am9799 972 replies29 threads Senior Member
    Depends also on the ECs and how the college views them. My kid had highish SAT, above 3.0 but not good GPA and really good ECs. He got two good Merit awards based on his ECs. Of course it is hard to gauge that ahead. He had applied to colleges that we could afford without Merit and to some just to see his luck. He also had applied EA to colleges so we could gauge a bit ahead how his app would be received. I always recommend a bit of strategy, a good dose of reality and of course some good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • hebegebehebegebe 2780 replies39 threads Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    My son ... applied for scholarship and was offered half of the OOS tuition excluding room and board. We save some money to pay for 2years worth of schooling but the rest will be his parents working overtime and him geting student loan. I just want him to think wisely but his thoughts are that he will recover the money if he goes to the better school and that are the OOS schools.
    Your son is misinformed. Engineering is fairly standardized under ABET accreditation. Fwiw, my husband and oldest son are both engineers. They both work with engineers from across a full spectrum of schools, Pay at graduation is the same no matter where they earned their degree. Promotions and raises are based on job performance and not school. People from higher ranked universities can make less than engineers from Podunk U.
    The part about pay at graduation being the same no matter where they earned their degree is not quite true. For example, the average starting salary of an MIT CS grad is ~$95K vs. ~$60K for an Auburn CS grad. While the pay in any particular company can be similar, there are different opportunities available for graduates depending upon the school.

After graduation, the school attended makes no difference in promotions and raises, and makes a marginal difference in subsequent job changes.
    edited March 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 5966 replies108 threads Senior Member
    @zoosermom, are you willing to share which colleges were on your son's list?
    · Reply · Share
  • josiah27josiah27 5 replies0 threads New Member
    I was misled by the information on the schools' sites themselves. Every cost calculator incorporated thousands of dollars of aid that I assumed would bring the cost down to a more affordable level. I'm now getting ready to hear back from the last of my schools, mostly Universities of California, and have already made the decision to attend a local university to avoid student loans. SDSU and UCSC didn't offer me any aid, and I have a feeling that's indicative of the rest of the schools. I'm okay with staying at home for my bachelor's now that I'm in that mindset, but I do wish universities weren't so falsely advertised as "affordable", and I wish I'd done my research much much earlier.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity