right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Have you helped students increase their financial aid chances or families plan how to pay for college? Are you a Financial Aid officer at your school? We are recruiting panelists for an upcoming webinar so Private Message CCadmin_Sorin for consideration.
1 DAY until our COVID-19's impact on admissions webinar, tomorrow at 3:00 pm ET. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
Check out our newest addition to the Student Lounge. Go to the "STUDENT HERE: Ask Me Anything!" and connect with fellow students who can answer your school specific questions!
Most of the decisions are in by now. Connect with fellow students and share support for those who didn't get the best news.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• billcshobillcsho 18315 replies91 threads Senior Member
    Why not shopping at Kohl's? They keep giving me free money to shop on their overprice items. Free item is still free.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2408 replies58 threads Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Those people who are expecting large merit awards are often the same ones blissfully (until March) unaware of applying by merit scholarship deadlines or who refuse to provide their children with the information needed to fill out the FAFSA in a timely manner or as others have mentioned have never heard of a NPC. They likely don't have a good understanding of the difference between merit aid and need based aid and that the most selective schools often don't offer merit aid. I know I am generalizing but have talked to many parents who were flabbergasted at the cost of a particular university and that their child did not receive the aid they felt was due. In most cases either the child was not qualified for the awards they felt they should have received or the parent simply made too much money to receive the need based aid (which many perceive to be scholarships) they had hoped for.

At our D's HS there is a parent luncheon group that meets monthly and is organized by parents. The topic in October was financing and applying to colleges. There was a panel of parents who had been through the process before. Around 30 or so parents or so attended out of a class of 700. These were parents who wanted to understand the process. If I have the opportunity to discuss the subject with parents the fall of their senior year and feel there is information I can impart then I do so. If I were talking to them now unless directly asked I probably will just nod and wish them luck.
    edited February 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • WIparent4WIparent4 20 replies4 threads Junior Member
    exactly: none of the above, I'm sure, other than being a "GT" kid.(of which there are many) & I took the comment, (delivered in that knowing way, suggesting that I wasn't really aware how the world worked) to be about 'any' of these elite schools. A generalized delusion.
    · Reply · Share
  • intparentintparent 36291 replies644 threads Senior Member
    Well... they will find out the hard way.
    · Reply · Share
  • GnocchiBGnocchiB 2078 replies230 threads Senior Member
    other than being a "GT" kid.(of which there are many)
    @WIparent4 what is a GT kid?
    · Reply · Share
  • carolinamom2boyscarolinamom2boys 6900 replies224 threads Senior Member
    @GnocchiB GT= gifted and talented
    · Reply · Share
  • 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom 5656 replies338 threads Senior Member
    GT = Gifted and Talented program kids
    · Reply · Share
  • WIparent4WIparent4 20 replies4 threads Junior Member
    yes, my apologies
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.