Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Why not shopping at Kohl's? They keep giving me free money to shop on their overprice items. Free item is still free.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 2,207 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Those people who are expecting large merit awards are often the same ones blissfully (until March) unaware of applying by merit scholarship deadlines or who refuse to provide their children with the information needed to fill out the FAFSA in a timely manner or as others have mentioned have never heard of a NPC. They likely don't have a good understanding of the difference between merit aid and need based aid and that the most selective schools often don't offer merit aid. I know I am generalizing but have talked to many parents who were flabbergasted at the cost of a particular university and that their child did not receive the aid they felt was due. In most cases either the child was not qualified for the awards they felt they should have received or the parent simply made too much money to receive the need based aid (which many perceive to be scholarships) they had hoped for.

At our D's HS there is a parent luncheon group that meets monthly and is organized by parents. The topic in October was financing and applying to colleges. There was a panel of parents who had been through the process before. Around 30 or so parents or so attended out of a class of 700. These were parents who wanted to understand the process. If I have the opportunity to discuss the subject with parents the fall of their senior year and feel there is information I can impart then I do so. If I were talking to them now unless directly asked I probably will just nod and wish them luck.
  • Ya YaYa Ya Registered User Posts: 1,158 Senior Member
    @WIparent4

Did this mother explain why MIT would want her kid so badly?

Did her kid win any technical world competitions, Math and Physics international Olympiads? Invented something useful, holds a patent? Made a mobile application and sold it to Google? Won anything in Olympic games at least?

What's her sales pitch?