Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    @DesperateMomDad Is your son planning to pay the difference between the *sniff* backup schools *sniff* and the OOS school? His major could make a difference in the choice, though.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,078 Senior Member
    I'd pick Rutgers over njit because the area is not one where you want to spend time in, it's partially unsafe partially depressing in a "gutted community" kind of vibe. The campus itself is rundown but it's the environment. We can compare it to Temple, but Temple has Philadelphia and a great campus that they make sure is very safe.
    Rutgers however is a perfectly good choice.
    Now, did the son apply to merit scholarships at the oos school ? Is the cost of the school within the budget you'd provided -if you hadn't provided one, are you able to pay for the other school, is it a surprise for him, is he only learning now that there's such a thing as a budget?
    *Is not rundown, ".... a word was dropped
  • DesperateMomDadDesperateMomDad Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    My son wants to take Biomedica Engineering. A GPA of 4.0 and ACT is 35. He applied for scholarship and was offered
    half of the OOS tuition excluding room and board. We save some money to pay for 2years worth of schooling but the rest will be his parents working overtime and him geting student loan. I just want him to think wisely but his thoughts are that he will recover the money if he goes to the better school and that are the OOS schools.
    If you can pay the first two years without his borrowing, and you won't borrow for the oos school to which he gets a scholarship, the oos school sounds doable financially. Is the oos ABET accredited ? Is there some concrete criteria that indicate it is "better" indeed ?
  • GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    @DesperateMomDad wrote
    My son wants to take Biomedica Engineering. A GPA of 4.0 and ACT is 35...
    I just want him to think wisely...
    Then he should think long and hard about biomedical engineering. It's an "engineering lite" degree w poor job prospects w/o a graduate degree.

• MotherOfDragonsMotherOfDragons Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    @Midwest67 , true enough-it's an impossible reality so who's to say. The whole perfection mentality now that's so pervasive is really troubling, I agree.
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 963 Member
    To @Mom2aphysicsgeek 's point, I work with a graduate of a non-flagship state u who was the boss of a guy with an ivy league bs/ms combo. It was one of the lesser ivies, but still...
    Get an ABET undergrad where the student can graduate debt free - sounds like excellent advice to me.
  • albert69albert69 Registered User Posts: 3,247 Senior Member
    》》he should think long and hard about biomedical engineering. It's an "engineering lite" degree w poor job prospects w/o a graduate degree. 《《

You mean you've done it, @GMTplus7 , you've identified the easiest engineering degree?? (Aka the "lite") 8-> :> :))
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 7,597 Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Oops, wrong thread!
  • NUwildcat92NUwildcat92 Registered User Posts: 149 Junior Member
    I just read this entire thread over the past 24 hours, and it is without a doubt one of the most useful "doses of reality" here on CC. It should be pinned at the top of this forum, IMHO. Many thanks to @mom2collegekids for starting it, and the many contributors who shared their stories!

Over the next few weeks, many acceptance letters and FA decisions will be revealed to aspiring students throughout the country. Here's hoping that many families will make wise decisions, and not cripple themselves financially for years to come.