Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• am9799am9799 Registered User Posts: 859 Member
    Depends also on the ECs and how the college views them. My kid had highish SAT, above 3.0 but not good GPA and really good ECs. He got two good Merit awards based on his ECs. Of course it is hard to gauge that ahead. He had applied to colleges that we could afford without Merit and to some just to see his luck. He also had applied EA to colleges so we could gauge a bit ahead how his app would be received. I always recommend a bit of strategy, a good dose of reality and of course some good luck!
  • hebegebehebegebe Registered User Posts: 2,472 Senior Member
    edited March 2016
    My son ... applied for scholarship and was offered half of the OOS tuition excluding room and board. We save some money to pay for 2years worth of schooling but the rest will be his parents working overtime and him geting student loan. I just want him to think wisely but his thoughts are that he will recover the money if he goes to the better school and that are the OOS schools.
    Your son is misinformed. Engineering is fairly standardized under ABET accreditation. Fwiw, my husband and oldest son are both engineers. They both work with engineers from across a full spectrum of schools, Pay at graduation is the same no matter where they earned their degree. Promotions and raises are based on job performance and not school. People from higher ranked universities can make less than engineers from Podunk U.
    The part about pay at graduation being the same no matter where they earned their degree is not quite true. For example, the average starting salary of an MIT CS grad is ~$95K vs. ~$60K for an Auburn CS grad. While the pay in any particular company can be similar, there are different opportunities available for graduates depending upon the school.

After graduation, the school attended makes no difference in promotions and raises, and makes a marginal difference in subsequent job changes.
  • homerdoghomerdog Registered User Posts: 4,233 Senior Member
    @zoosermom, are you willing to share which colleges were on your son's list?
  • josiah27josiah27 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I was misled by the information on the schools' sites themselves. Every cost calculator incorporated thousands of dollars of aid that I assumed would bring the cost down to a more affordable level. I'm now getting ready to hear back from the last of my schools, mostly Universities of California, and have already made the decision to attend a local university to avoid student loans. SDSU and UCSC didn't offer me any aid, and I have a feeling that's indicative of the rest of the schools. I'm okay with staying at home for my bachelor's now that I'm in that mindset, but I do wish universities weren't so falsely advertised as "affordable", and I wish I'd done my research much much earlier.
  • mom2engkidsmom2engkids Registered User Posts: 73 Junior Member
    @mom2collegekids thx again for awesome info..may I quote you on my Facebook group for our high school?
  • footballorbustfootballorbust Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Wow. There's so much great info in this thread. I wonder if i'll be able to get a scholarship with my grades and football experience. I'm just dreading the ACT ahhhhh!
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,956 Senior Member
    @footballorbust ...don't just wonder...PREPARE!

When is your ACT and what are you doing daily to prepare?
  • 1S1Dforcollege1S1Dforcollege Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    @mom2collegekids - was wondering when this would be revived- one of my favorite threads!
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,376 Senior Member
    "Some schools may have inflated prices and will play games and offer a token merit to flatter, but the resulting cost will still likely be high."

My school does this. It's shocking how many parents are delighted that Jimmy got a 5k merit scholarship, so he must be best suited for this school... despite the remaining 47k price tag. Bewildering really
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 15,018 Senior Member
    So instead of lowering tuition they give everyone else a "feel good" merit award.
  • malvernvarnamalvernvarna Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    I was offered a $40,000 ($10,000 per year) scholarship to a college in my hometown. I was considered applying out of courtesy until I realized that 1) I would get a higher award of $45,000 based only my test scores and GPA and 2) scholarships from the college can not be added to each other. So it really wasn't *that* generous at all.