Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• paul2752paul2752 Registered User Posts: 5,089 Senior Member
    I really am curious how my school is going to deal with ever growing undergraduate.
  • RelocatedYankeeRelocatedYankee Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    @TomSrOfBoston May I ask where the overenrollment figures can be found for the class of 2021? I’d be interested in seeing it for a broader list of colleges.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 14,298 Senior Member
    @RelocatedYankee The Northeastern, BU and BC figures come from those schools' websites. I know of no comprehensive list. This CC thread has many postings regarding freshman enrolment this past fall.
    https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/20977393#Comment_20977393
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,235 Forum Champion
    <<<<<<
    really am curious how my school is going to deal with ever growing undergraduate.
    >>>>

What do you mean
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,235 Forum Champion
    edited November 2017
    Our school's undergraduate size is getting larger and larger every year, and I started to wonder if the school will be able to offer great merit scholarhsips to OOS students in future like they do now. It will be quite a lot of fortune!
  • LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 4,000 Senior Member
    That's not what "over enrollment" means, @paul2752. Over enrollment is when you have, for example, spots for 1,000 students, so you make offers of admission (based on historic yield) to 2,000 students, and unexpectedly 1,200 accept. You're now over enrolled by 200 for that class.

UA has already modified the freshman merit scholarships for future classes - requiring higher stats and making the amounts fixed. Regardless, if they want to keep the class sizes from increasing further, they just need to accept fewer students.
    @LucieTheLakie Thanks for the info. I just looked up the scholarship page and they added a new one for perfect GPA and SAT! Called Presidential Elite scholarship, and gives you 1 year of dorm, 4 year full tuition, book stipend 500$ per year, 1000yr allowance for 1 year, and 2000$ one time stipend for research!
  • LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 4,000 Senior Member
    @paul2752,I could be wrong, but I think that scholarship (or something similar) already existed but wasn't advertised for some reason. It was called the Presidential Elite. @mom2collegekids would know better.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,246 Senior Member
    Alabama's Presidential Elite requires 4.0 HS GPA and 36 ACT or 1600 SAT, according to https://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out-of-state.php .

However, this is not a "perfect" HS GPA, since Alabama takes HS GPA at face value from the highest one on the HS transcript according to https://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/ , so students attending HSs with exaggerated weighting schemes (like the ones that can give 5.something or 6.something weighted HS GPA) can easily meet the 4.0 HS GPA requirement.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 7,553 Senior Member
    This is a good thread, @mom2collegekids. I'm glad to see it cycle through again. I think it surprises a lot of families that acceptances don't necessarily come with aid. People think about academic safeties, but I don't think they realize they need to consider financial ones too.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,246 Senior Member
    hopedaisy wrote:
    My friend's son just graduated high school. He had high enough scores to get accepted at some good places but no merit aid. They just did a total remodel on their house which means he will be attending community college next year. I feel sorry for that kid as he really wants an opportunity to go away to school but his parents never saved a dime.

When it comes time to transfer to a four year school to finish his bachelor's degree, will he have any options (based on financial criteria) besides the local state university within commuting distance?