Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• hopedaisyhopedaisy Registered User Posts: 69 Junior Member
    When it comes time to transfer to a four year school to finish his bachelor's degree, will he have any options (based on financial criteria) besides the local state university within commuting distance?

No, I don't think this boy will have many options except to go locally. I really think my friend expected him to get a full ride scholarship.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,268 Senior Member
    If he has a shot at a full tuition/full ride scholarship with a better list, he shouldn't attend CC since scholarships are few and far between for transfers.
    Can he open an account on cc and start a thread? Can his mother?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,879 Forum Champion
  • 1S1Dforcollege1S1Dforcollege Registered User Posts: 216 Junior Member
    This was a very helpful thread when I was going through the college search game with my kids!
  • homeeducatorhomeeducator Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    While I agree that the public's are not known for giving tons of merit scholarships they are also more affordable (even the OOS ones) . Private schools, however, are known for inflating and discounting costs to attract more candidates so expecting to get some merit aid (even if one falls in the average of these schools stats) is not without reason. Following your advice students would only apply to colleges that they can afford out of pocket. (that would negate most of us). I can't imagine hoping to graduate without making any financial contribution to your own or your child's education, but I also can't imagine expecting to pay $70,000 a year if you are part of the 90% of us with average incomes and 2.3 kids.
    What many parents are also "clueless" about is the limitation placed on the loans their child can take. Students are limited to $5500 freshman year and $6500 Sophomore year and a bit more on subsequent years. This is done to limit the amount of debt a student can incur obtaining an undergraduate degree, but the remaining cost will be on mom and dad.
  • youngestsonyoungestson Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Can I ask where your son applied that had he could audition for non-major music money? My son is a euphonium player who doesn't want to major in music but wants to continue playing and having lessons. He is very good.
    I think it is important not to discourage students from applying to schools that without significant aid they could not afford it. For students who have worked very hard to have a chance at the school of their dreams being admitted is a badge of honor even if ultimately they determine they can not afford it. I know very few who can pony up the half million it would take to educate two kids at a private college out of pocket. You never know unless you try.
    Saving for college can also backfire when it comes to time file FAFSA as the amount asset protection afforded even average earning households has dropped significantly meaning your savings could easily disqualify you for federal grants and subsidized loans. A better way is put the savings in grandma or grandpa's name and then use it for the final year of college or to pay off any subsidized loans you may have taken.