Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

1232425262729»

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• hopedaisyhopedaisy Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    When it comes time to transfer to a four year school to finish his bachelor's degree, will he have any options (based on financial criteria) besides the local state university within commuting distance?

No, I don't think this boy will have many options except to go locally. I really think my friend expected him to get a full ride scholarship.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,233 Forum Champion
    edited July 25
    My friend's son just graduated high school. He had high enough scores to get accepted at some good places but no merit aid. They just did a total remodel on their house which means he will be attending community college next year. I feel sorry for that kid as he really wants an opportunity to go away to school but his parents never saved a dime.

Instead of starting at a community college, he should take no classes at all, only work a job, and apply to some schools that will give him significant merit for his stats

@hopedaisy
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,906 Senior Member
    If he has a shot at a full tuition/full ride scholarship with a better list, he shouldn't attend CC since scholarships are few and far between for transfers.
    Can he open an account on cc and start a thread? Can his mother?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,233 Forum Champion
  • 1S1Dforcollege1S1Dforcollege Registered User Posts: 203 Junior Member
    This was a very helpful thread when I was going through the college search game with my kids!