Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

Replies to: Getting Accepted does NOT mean that a Merit Scholarship will be forthcoming....

• aamcgssaamcgss Registered User Posts: 38 Junior Member
    I did :) rejected :( I know private schools would offer more but so far I got rejected by them all :) UPenn, Mit , uchicago, JH, waitlisted washu ( not known for good aid ) so far I have only 4 public school acceptance 2 full ride instate , UCLA is my top choice :) umich is good for premed don’t get me wrong but I want to get out from my state to happier state :)
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,622 Senior Member
    edited March 23
    @aamcgss : OMG you got a full ride to UMichigan? Go there! (With the savings from your on-campus job, study away for a semester with a partner school in CA, study abroad, go on Spring Break somewhere...)
    There are SO MANY opportunities open to you thanks to Michigan AND thanks to a full ride. The freedom given by that full ride means that, for all you know, you may end up with a job in California and no debt to pay back each month, making all your roommates green with envy. Trust me, there won't be many college graduates in your situation.

BTW, find that book and save money for your travels :)
    https://eu.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/04/23/michigan-students-not-rich-college-guide/520980002/
    http://www.secondwavemedia.com/concentrate/features/notrich0489.aspx
    Thanks for kind words . I know saving as undergrad is extremely important for me , because I’m planning on going to med school ,( unavoidable debt ) I don’t want to be in debt until my 40s. Just hard to to say no to my dream school when I’m so close .....and worked so hard throughout my high school to get here. I will keep repeating to myself “U Mich is as good as UCLA just with better weather conditions “ :) still waiting for six more schools ......
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,967 Senior Member
    @aamcgss are those schools that guarantee to meet need? Please say they are not California schools!
    Only one does not , but probably not going to get in Berkeley. Most likely not going to get in in any of them :) brown, Columbia , northwestern, rice, Stanford .After I got in UMich in December I only applied to “better” top tier schools :)
  • 15J121715J1217 Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    @aamcgss UMich is a fantastic school and I wouldn't hesitate to attend with that offer. You can always apply to a SoCal med school, right? Or angle for a residency there? Brave the winters — it will be worth it!
  • ktop3ktop3 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    edited March 24
    @aamcgss WOW! I know people in state who were accepted to UCLA and get NADA. If you got a free ride from UMich I would jump on that in a heart beat. From there you can apply to CA med school? After going through this process with my daughter (who is a senior) and the idea of a "good" college and "top tier schools" - you will end up where you belong. Education is what you make of it and the opportunities and connections while you are in college. I know a very successful Dr who did her pre-med at Michigan. I would jump at the chance for my daughter to graduate debt free.
    O my god o my god to make my case worst I got in Berkeley
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,825 Senior Member
    if you can't afford to go to UCB, which you cant, then go to UM.
    A free ride, at a top U, trumps all other options, no matter what.
    Congrats once again!
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 26,721 Senior Member
    The UCs do not guarantee to meet full need. The state of California has a lot of grants and programs that meet the gaps nicely if you are a state resident, but you are not. You may have gotten state money for your in state public schools to make them full ride.for you. I know our state has grant programs for those with financial need going to instate colleges, but all bets off, you don't qualify for a dime of that money if your parents are not state residents.
  • CalifMom2TwinsCalifMom2Twins Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Referring back a couple of pages on this thread, our DD did apply to some privates that were reaches both in admissions criteria and cost. Our hired college counselor advised us that certain private colleges meet over 90% of need. DD received several rejections, and acceptances at privates where financial aid/scholarship are not enough for us to consider drowning in debt. Only one private is close in cost to our tab at a UC campus.
    DD is a 3.92 GPA and ACT of 30 so not a candidate for major scholarships.
    When a family has an EFC of zero on their FAFSA, their A- student is better off at a public university, as the privates will generally not be affordable. Hard realities learned late.
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 3,648 Senior Member
    @CalifMom2Twins Not necessarily. I helped a student last year with a top 15% rank ACT 28 win two full rides. If people would just look beyond the short list of colleges discussed on CC, there are really good deals to be had.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 40,622 Senior Member
    In addition, California is pretty unique in that it makes its public universities affordable for EFC0 families (and many are commutable even for families with slightly higher EFCs). There are many states where EFC0 families would be expected to spend nearly their whole yearly paycheck on public universities.