Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

150 hr rule in Texas...do other states have this?

Replies to: 150 hr rule in Texas...do other states have this?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,077 Forum Champion
    <<
    know if they are required to report all the AP credits, or if they can just opt not to take the credits for them. They could bomb them on purpose and thus get no credit for them, but who is thinking that far ahead as a 10th or 11th grader taking AP?
    >>>

Many won't, but once the word gets out, kids will say things like: "I'm going to purposely fail the exam because I can't afford the credits." And, slowly the word will get out.

And, eventually, a legislator's child, niece, nephew, or neighbor will be affected and that person will bring it to the attention of other law-makers can get a change.
  • capcap Registered User Posts: 922 Member
    I don't remember all of the specifics, but at one point students for a rebate in TX if they graduated with only a certain number of credits above the minimum. My sister did not get it because she went in with AP credits, even though she graduated in 4 years and only took the number of credits for the rebate at her university. The AP credit put her over that limit. She was miffed because she went to a private high school with no state funding.
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,684 Forum Champion
    @mom2collegekids Does this not include the national merit scholarship given by UA?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,670 Senior Member
    edited May 2016
    The 150 hour limit as applied at Texas A&M excludes a number of categories of credits from the limitation:

http://registrar.tamu.edu/General/ExcessCredHr.aspx
    Texas A&M wrote:
    The semester credit hours counted toward the limitation include all hours attempted by the student except:

Semester credit hours earned by the student before receiving a baccalaureate degree that has been previously awarded
    Semester credit hours earned by the student by examination or other procedure by which credit is earned without registering for a course for which tuition is charged.
    Credit for remedial education courses, technical courses, workforce education courses funded according to contact hours, or other courses that would not generate academic credit that could be applied toward a degree program at Texas A&M University.
    Semester credit hours earned by the student at a private or out-of-state institution.
    Semester credit hours earned by the student before graduating from high school and used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (Effective June 2009).
    Hours not eligible for formula funding.

The second category ("earned by the student by examination or other procedure by which credit is earned without registering for a course for which tuition is charged") seems like it should include credit earned from things like AP and IB scores.

However, the Texas tuition rebate for graduating within the minimum number of credits needed plus 3 does include credit by examination beyond 9 such credits, according to http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=447 .
    "Semester credit hours earned by the student before graduating from high school and used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (Effective June 2009)."

Doesn't this include AP/IB credits?

Texas also gives 24 hours an IB diploma. However, many have stayed the full 4 years despite accruing a large number of IB/AP credits without any issues. Some had almost 50-60 credits when entering college.
    texaspg wrote:
    "Semester credit hours earned by the student before graduating from high school and used to satisfy high school graduation requirements (Effective June 2009)."

Doesn't this include AP/IB credits?

Possibly, but it also looks like it covers college credit from dual enrollment courses. Though the credit by examination exemption should also apply to AP and IB credit in case this one does not.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,077 Forum Champion
    <<<
    Does this not include the national merit scholarship given by UA?
    >>>

Someone with the NMF award at Bama would not be affected by this at all. It is a merit award of 10 semesters of tuition for as many credits as you want.

I don't see how any of these laws would affect those with full tuition merit scholarships.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,334 Senior Member
    Because at many schools the full tuition scholarships (or any tuition scholarship) is good for 8 semesters. After that, you become just like any other student registering for schools. If you aren't eligible for instate tuition for whatever reason, including having too many credits, you pay the OOS rate or the penalty rate.
    edited June 2016
    Oh definitely.

I thought that @texaspg was asking something else. I thought she was asking about a situation such as: Student has a NMF free tuition scholarship at Bama (which is for 10 semesters), and the student reaches the 150 credit during junior year. I thought she was asking if the student still has the 2 remaining years.

Texaspg....what exactly were you asking?
    @mom2collegekids
    My kids each graduated with far more than 150 credits due to AP credits, but they weren't getting any fed or state aid.

I was asking if the merit scholarships are exempt from the rule since I remembered your son was an NMF(?).
    You would have to find out from the specific merit scholarship.
    edited June 2016
    The scholarship would not be taken away for meeting a number of credits. My own son had about 180 credits when he graduated and he's not unique.
  • GTAustinGTAustin Registered User Posts: 977 Member
    I just looked up UTD and they stated it differently. You are allowed 30 hours over your degree plan. AP/CLEP/Dual credit hours are not included in the total. Classes that were a withdrawn or retake were included in total. There is no stated exception for dual majors.
    I can understand why there aren't exceptions for dual majors, when need-aid or instate-discounts are in play.

There was a Calif student who posted here a couple of years ago. He got to senior year realizing that Cal Grants are for 4 years only. He was in a situation where he couldn't complete one major during his remaining year.

I can understand why state and institutional budgets have to have restrictions. Their goal is to provide aid for one BS degree. If you can squeeze in two, fine. But, they're not paying for extra years.

Since AP/CLEP/DE credits aren't counted, that means that often the type of person who would likely pursue a dual major, would likely have 20-50 credits that wouldn't be counted...and would provide room in the schedule to complete.
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,854 Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for this discussion! Very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.