Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

150 hr rule in Texas...do other states have this?

Replies to: 150 hr rule in Texas...do other states have this?

• 3scoutsmom3scoutsmom Registered User Posts: 5,485 Senior Member
    At UT Austin you have apply to "claim" specific AP credits so only the ones you claim count toward the 150 rule they also charge a per credit fee for AP credits you claim.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,055 Forum Champion
    ^^^^

oh wow! GREEDY
  • GTAustinGTAustin Registered User Posts: 974 Member
    @3scoutmom, do you know if that is specific to UT Austin or do the other UT schools do that as well? My DD will be going to UTD with about 30 AP credits. It would be good to know about it ahead of time.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,580 Senior Member
    http://oue.utdallas.edu/undergraduate-advising/ap-credit/ says:
    Entering freshmen must see their advisor to determine the best application of Advanced Placement (AP) credit. A freshman must weigh the advantages of accepting college credit through AP exams against the possible impact such credit might have on tuition rebate eligibility, tuition charges for excessive hours, the Texas Be-On-Time student loan program, and their readiness for subsequent courses in an academic sequence.
    @GTAustin if I recall TAMU you have ask for credit for AP's it isn't automatically awarded
    also found this for UTD

"Where can I find information on CLEP, AP and IB score credit?

You may access the UT Dallas equivalency charts for these exams online or through the Office of Enrollment Services. Once admitted to the program, your scores will not automatically be applied to your transcript, so please make your academic advisor aware of any exams you have taken."

This page also has some interesting info that your dd should be aware of 'just in case'
    http://www.utdallas.edu/ah/students/advising/faq.html

I didn't see anything about fees for AP credits that UT Austin charges. That really bugs me!

We had looked at the equivalency charts and knew which classes were possible to get credit for. My DD has told her advisor which AP tests she is taking but she won't get the majority of the results until early July. My DD is under the assumption that the results will be automatically sent to UTD. She believes she signed up for that thru Collegeboard but things are a little hazy right now. I had never heard of a university charging for AP credits but if any university would do it , it would be UT Austin.
  • texaspgtexaspg Forum Champion Pre-Med & Medical Posts: 16,681 Forum Champion
    @GTAustin Does she have merit scholarships or will she be in one of these categories ( tuition rebate eligibility, tuition charges for excessive hours, the Texas Be-On-Time student loan program)
    She does have the NMF scholarship which covers full tuition plus fees and a semester stipend. She does have to take 15 credit hours/semester. She has already registered for 16 hrs but after AP results are in, she is hoping to upgrade both her math and CS classes and pick up an addl art class for 18 hours. I'm curious what tuition rebate eligibility means.
    @GTAustin I was just looking at the tuition rebate
    https://www.utdallas.edu/registrar/files/tuitionrebate.pdf
    No where does it say you actually have to pay tuition to be eligible!
    I just found Texas tuition rebate and my DD will not qualify. She is going to have way over the addl 3 hrs on her degree plan. She plans to max out the hours with the free tuition and try some new things.
  • ordinarylivesordinarylives Registered User Posts: 3,018 Senior Member
    See, and I thought quite few charged for AP credit! From what I've seen, the charges are small, but still...
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,580 Senior Member
    GTAustin wrote:
    I'm curious what tuition rebate eligibility means.

It is presumably an incentive for a Texas resident student to graduate from a Texas public university in the minimum possible number of credits for his/her degree (up to 3 extra credits allowed), to allow the state subsidy of the public universities to be stretched to cover as many students as possible (instead of a smaller number of students taking more credits worth of courses each).
    http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/apps/financialaid/tofa2.cfm?ID=447
    Following the link from ucbalumnus to the FAQ link Question #4
    http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/index.cfm?objectid=C11E6975-F85E-C1C8-73B1AEEF1E771640

NM students at UTD would not be eligible anyway because you do indeed have to actually pay $1000 in tuition to get the rebate. dang! TANSTAAFL!
    @3scoutsmom, I'm not complaining!
  • STEMFamilySTEMFamily Registered User Posts: 1,327 Senior Member
    edited June 2016
    My D has a warning that she is about to hit the limit at Arizona State. She is a NM Scholar going into her senior year. The page says the limit is 180 and she currently has 151. 41 of those are AP credits. Strange that they count the AP hours but do NOT count the 3 credits from a duel enrollment class that they transferred and even counted toward her minor. With 2 majors and a minor, she has had several semesters at 18 and above hours but will finish in 4 years with one 3 credit class this summer that isn't covered by her scholarship.

It really doesn't seem fair to count AP credits against the limit, especially when they specifically state that transfer credits do not count. They do not ask you what credits you want accepted.

I guess we are going to have to call the school about this. Her scholarship is full tuition for 8 semesters and this limit was never mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.