Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

College Debt post college and no job?

SharehouseSharehouse Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Are there many people like me that have alot of college debt and currently cannot find a job in their chosen field? I am trying to do contract work and hope to find permanent work in the future. But I want to know if there are other young grads like myself in the midwest that have found themselves stuck. It is hard to get ahead with limited opp and large debt. Do you agree?

Replies to: College Debt post college and no job?

• happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,095 Senior Member
    When you've got boatloads of debt, you can't be picky about work. Take whatever job you can get for now, and keep looking for the permanent one in the chosen field.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 18,922 Senior Member
    My niece took a year to find a job. When she first graduated she did what she'd done for years -house sit, dog sit, worked as a hostess at a restaurant. Then about 4 months later she got a minimum wage job but for a sports team, so there was a lot of fun and a lot of overtime. About 10 months after graduation she just got a 'real' job. She moved to another city and found an apartment and is getting on with her life.

Don't give up, it takes a little bit of time.

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,060 Senior Member
    If your loans are federally funded loans (Direct, Perkins), you could apply for income based repayment. This would reduce your loan payments to a %age of your income. The one thing you want to do is be current on your loan payments, regardless of your income.

If you have private loans...there is no income based repayment.
  • BeeDAreBeeDAre Registered User Posts: 1,164 Senior Member
    This. ^ Good advice.
    When I hear new graduates with a Bachelor's, say they can't find a job - no matter the major, humanities, STEM - it almost always turns out that they are only looking within a 50-mile radius of their hometown.
    I have told my daughter, when you graduate and start the job-hunt, you must be ready and willing to be MOBILE.

Also - like blossom said - everyone has to start at the bottom. Everyone. Make sure you are looking for ENTRY-LEVEL jobs. And be flexible.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,064 Senior Member
    Perkins loans cannot be included in income driven repayment plans unless they are consolidated into a Direct Loan. Just wanted to point this out!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Forum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 83,913 Forum Champion
    @Sharehouse

What did you get your degree in? What was your career goal? How much debt do you have and is it all fed? or is some private or Plus?

If some is Plus, I don't think it can be IBR if based on student income since it's parent debt. I don't think IBR is available for private loans...and likely those would be co-signed anyway.

Stafford/Direct/Perkins loans do have IBR, but I don't know what the lowest IBR payment would be for an unemployed person. Anyone know?

As for getting a job....at this point, if you can't find a job in your field, broaden your horizons. I was surprised to learn how much a good sales person at an AT&T store can earn....more than $55k...and as much as $90k....with great benefits.

You can always take any job in the meantime just to have income coming in while still looking for a job in your field. When you're completely unemployed, it can be harder to get the job you want.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 8,942 Senior Member
    A good sales person ANYWHERE makes good money. People think that a career in sales means insurance or cosmetics (not that there's anything wrong with those fields). But people who sell industrial equipment or work in tech (SAP, IBM) or services of any kind (think of a large hospital- every single thing inside came from a sale force from CT scan machines to sterilizing equipment to nutritional supplements for surgical patients who can't swallow).
This discussion has been closed.