Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it possible for quadruplets to get large amounts of aid from top 20 schools?

Replies to: Is it possible for quadruplets to get large amounts of aid from top 20 schools?

• NikkuWaddeNikkuWadde Registered User Posts: 512 Member
    @mom2collegekids I didn't divide by four. The first time I put their numbers in, I listed their assets at $5.8 million when which is why it gave an EFC of 100k. Their assets should have been $585k. So that is why on the first one, it spit out such high numbers. The second time, it came out at about $25,863.
    and thanks alot @jeepgirl
  • SOSConcernSOSConcern Registered User Posts: 3,720 Senior Member
    IMHO Georgetown in comparison to what else? As a parent, I would not like your strategy on borrow/beg and you clearly could not go w/o parents' cooperation. Your parents don't mind you shooting out to see what merit you may get, but sounds like they have been pretty clear about their contribution to college costs.
    Well, I mean. I have guaranteed rides at several HBCUs (I've visted, and they told us). I'd rather not go to those schools, but will if it's my only option. I'm trying too see if I can go somewhere else.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,570 Senior Member
    (I've visted, and they told us]
    May I STRONGLY suggest you get that in writing from the admissions office before you assume it is a done deal?
    I have NEVER heard of a verbal guarantee of scholarship in 12 years of being on CC. Best to get it on paper.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,259 Senior Member
    Alos, look into the requirements to keep the scholarship. 3.5 should be the upper limit - lower for students in engineering (where 2.7-3.0 is considered rather good.)
    Okay thanks everybody for the advice. I'm actually heading to Georgetown today for an interview, so I'm excited for that.
    Good luck!
    OP just don't tip your hand about wanting Gtown so much. Nephew made that mistake with his school and he didn't get their top scholarship (which his younger, lower stat brother did thanks to keeping options open). It doesn't hurt to indicate that your budget requires a lot of merit.
  • mountaingoatsmountaingoats Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    @SOSConcern Georgetown does not offer merit aid.
    Would all 4of you apply to g'town?
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 10,549 Senior Member
    I thought that Howard's merit scholarships are first come first served, not guaranteed.
    Gtown probably does do some financial aid due to need. Don't know if they would consider anything with the OP's situation - if they would consider that situation as a needy situation versus other students with similar stats and more financial need. I think there are many parents that will say they won't help finance college.
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 3,765 Senior Member
    Remember also that net price = expected family contribution + expected student contribution.

Not quite. The expected student contribution is part of the expected family contribution.

EFC = expected parent contribution + expected student contribution.
This discussion has been closed.