Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

colleges that give good financial aid

13»

Replies to: colleges that give good financial aid

• manykids2000manykids2000 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    I would go on your high school's naviance and look at the acceptances and rejections for your reach schools, they might give you a better picture. Then if there is any chance, do the net price calculators.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,000 Senior Member
    I don't understand how a student with your stats and in-state for UWashington Seattle would contemplate going to Uhawai'i.
    Apply to WWU and WSU on top of UW, add Whitman.
    From your list, cross all OOS colleges except for UGA and OSU (assuming Ohio State, unless you mean Oregon State?)
    For OOS, look at Cal Poly SLO, it'll be high quality and cheaper than a UC.
    Seconding Case Western, UAlabama Honors, and ASU Barrett.
    Look into HarveyMudd if you're hardcore science?
    Run the NPC on USC, Carleton, Grinnell?

Until your father has spelled out how much he can pay out of pocket (without loans), you don't know how much he can afford. And if he took a loan for your sibling at NYU, you're out of luck - in families where the parents have to take a loan for the older sibling, the younger sibling often gets less than would have been expected had the contribution for *both* been thought of. If your father pays 70K (full pay) for your brother, does he have enough for you? How much? Few families can afford to spend 100-120K each year for their child's education.
    You can get a 5.5K federal loan. Everything else will either be merit aid or need-based aid.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,571 Senior Member
    I don't understand how a student with your stats and in-state for UWashington Seattle would contemplate going to Uhawai'i.

OP is interested in astronomy. There are awesome telescopes in Hawaii. Academically it makes sense, financially not so sure.
  • ClarinetDad16ClarinetDad16 Registered User Posts: 3,422 Senior Member
    OP would get the WUE rate at Hawaii.

Sounds like a fabulous option.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 3,571 Senior Member
    Actually, the astronomy major is only in the WUE rate at Hilo, not Manoa.

http://wue.wiche.edu/profile.jsp?id=58
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,000 Senior Member
    I think that ASU Barrett would be as cheap or perhaps even cheaper than WUE, at least as good for astronomy, and overall better than WUE Hilo. There's also UArizona Honors. OP can then go to Manoa for grad school. :)
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 2,746 Senior Member
    I know a student who just went to U Wyoming for Astronomy. Also just found a convo that contained these recommendations:

- Case Western reserve
    - Columbia
    - U of Colorado Boulder
    - Vilanova
    - Penn State
    - Princeton
    - Yale
    - Notre Dame is developing a program
    - Rutgers
    - KNAC -- consortium of small liberal arts colleges for astronomy http://astro.swarthmore.edu/knac/
    (Vassar, part of the consortium, has a long history of astronomy in the US)
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,604 Super Moderator
    I don't think I'd recommend a program that is still in development.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    edited September 2016
    Still depending on your family income and asset, but you may be surprised by how generous UMich is even to OOS students these days. Try their NPC.
  • UWfromCAUWfromCA Registered User Posts: 1,241 Senior Member
  • eandesmomeandesmom Registered User Posts: 3,427 Senior Member
    UW has actually reduced its tuition by state law. Though it can begin to go up in 2017 again, it is held to an increase that is limited to be no more than the annual average percentage growth in the median hourly wage for Washington for the previous 14 years.

What that means is UW is less than you realize right now, it's coming in around 26K for 2016. For the education it will be extremely hard to beat the opportunities in your major. WSU will the the same or less. Western as you know does not offer Astronomy. Whitman is typically not generous with merit but worth a shot at your stats.

Based on what you've shared I suspect you will not qualify for any aid, you do need to get actual financials from your dad and pin him down on a budget.

That said, there are schools offering astronomy in the WUE, some as a major, some a minor and some as a concentration in Physics. You don't typically need to do anything extra to qualify for WUE, it is part of the application. Most will have honors college options that could be very good for you and often offer extra scholarship monies.

University of Montana
    Montana State
    University of New Mexico
    New Mexico Institute of Mining and Tech
    U of Hawaii, Hilo
    University of Wyoming

Other States that will be on the more affordable side at your stats would include
    University of Maine (flagship match program)
    U Mass Amherst
    Ohio University
  • SlitheyToveSlitheyTove Registered User Posts: 6,348 Senior Member
    Also, Washington is cloudy, and universities like arizona or hawaii have excellent equipment in clear weather.

Using telescopes is a very, very small part of an undergraduate astronomy major. In many (possibly most) cases, undergrads will never do any observing. Even in graduate school--and if you want to use telescopes as part of your post-school life, you're going to need a graduate degree--it's possible to never use a telescope to gather your own data.

Look for schools that have good physics programs, and have opportunities for undergrads to do astronomy research with professors. UW is really an excellent choice. U Arizona would be a place where you would be able to be hands-on with telescopes; it would also keep travel costs relatively low. If you're considering Caltech and MIT, also look at Harvey Mudd; if you're looking at Berkeley, look at the physics program at UCSB's College of Creative Studies, which is possibly the very best undergrad education in physics in the entire UC system.

And do pin your dad down about how much he can afford. It's awkward for parents to have to tell their children they can't afford to send them to any school they can get into, but it's far far better to hear that now, when you're considering where to apply.
13»
This discussion has been closed.