Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

colleges that give good financial aid

TheGodfather99TheGodfather99 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
Here's a list of colleges. Which colleges give good financial aid to out of state students?
U. Colorado Boulder
Ohio State University
U. of Illinois Urbana Champaign
U. Wisconsin at Madison
U. Michigan ann arbor
Penn State U.
U. Penn
UH at Manoa
U. Arizona
U. Georgia
U. Indiana at bloomington
U. Texas at Austin

I'm looking for colleges that provide good aid and have great programs for astronomy.
Also, if you can suggest any websites that tell you which colleges give how much aid typically, that would be very helpful.

Replies to: colleges that give good financial aid

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,011 Super Moderator
    The question is what schools will give YOU good FA. What is your home state? What are your stats? I can tell you that UMich is Great for in-state students, not for OOS. UIUC stinks at both.
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 3,459 Senior Member
    The one private school on your list gives the best need-based aid, regardless of state of residence. But it also has very competitive admissions.

Do your own research by googling the name of the school followed by "Common Data Set."
  • TheGodfather99TheGodfather99 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    edited August 2016
    haha, which one's the private university???

i looked up common data set, what specifically am I looking for? there's a lot of data on financial aid
    home state Washington
    2170 SAT, superscore is 2210
    SAT II scores : math II- 780 physics- 800
    GPA 3.94
  • rosered55rosered55 Registered User Posts: 3,154 Senior Member
    UW-Madison does not give good financial aid, to either in-state or out-of-state students.
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 3,459 Senior Member
    haha, which one's the private university???

Umm, the University of Pennsylvania? "U. Penn" on your list? You know, the Ivy League school in Philadelphia?

i looked up common data set, what specifically am I looking for? there's a lot of data on financial aid

According to your post that started this thread, you're looking for
    which colleges give how much aid typically
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 83,188 Senior Member
    UPenn is the only private school on your list and it's an Ivy. Very hard to get into.

The rest of your list is AWFUL if you're expecting aid as an OOS student. Umich is probably the only school that might give you need based aid.

Arizona might give you some merit. Indiana might give you some merit.

Why don't you tell us your situation. Are you low income? If not, how much will your parents pay per year?

Publics don't generally give ANY need-based financial aid to OOS students because OOS families don't pay taxes there. They charge high OOS rates for THAT reason. Why would they charge high OOS rates and then give need-based aid to cover those high costs??? That wouldn't make sense.

<<<<
    what!! UC eliminated financial aid for OOS?? why would any college do that? I think that is just plain wrong, what about the academically excelling but poor students, UC is just saying "nope we can't profit from you guys, no thanks"
    <<<

???

Why do you think that the Calif taxpayers should be paying for the college costs of OOS students? Do your parents want to pay MORE taxes so that your state's schools can pay for OOS students to attend your state's colleges?
    You seem to misunderstand what private and public Us are. Maybe you should do some research on those areas so you can understand what schools might be your best options. You have good grades and scores so there are some good merit aid options out there.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 67,905 Senior Member
    You have wonderful stats...but the schools you have listed will not be ones that will get you a ton of merit aid....because you are not an instate student.

Do you have significant financial need? If so, and you get acceoted at University of Pennsylvania (the Ivy League school in Philadelphia), the school will meet your need as they calculate it to be.

How much aid do you need?
    edited August 2016
    my family is not low income, but with an older brother in NYU (out of state) and my dad not telling me how much he can afford for a college cost (he says don't worry about it, I press him for specific amounts he can at least cover but he won't tell me).
    Belknapoint, I searched for financial aid (Ctrl + F), and there are a lot of different stats like number of freshmen who applied for aid etc. Is the info I'm looking for specifically addressed in common data set by for example a heading of "average percentage of OOS receiving aid"? that's what i'm asking.

the colleges on my list are there because they have great astronomy programs with access to equipment on campus.

"The rest of your list is AWFUL if you're expecting aid as an OOS student. Umich is probably the only school that might give you need based aid."

That does not sound very good... :-? i looked up costs, Ohio State is around 39K, UH Manoa around 30K those I can definitely afford. Schools like U.Indiana or Wisconsin (high 40k) I can probably afford, but I prefer to minimize costs (or maximize aid ) because as I said with my brother in NYU I don't want to put financial burden on my father.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 16,658 Senior Member
    To minimize costs, go to U of Washington.

From your list, can we assume you want to go into engineering? There are private schools that give good money for engineering, like CMU and Case Western. The big publics are not so great with merit scholarship money.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 67,905 Senior Member
    Your brother's cost of attendance at NYU is the same regardless of his state of residence. NYU is a private university. It was your family choice to allow him to attend a $70,000 a year college.

https://physics.ua.edu

You have a 2170 SAT, and a 3.94 GPA. You should get a great scholarship guaranteed from Alabama!

@mom2collegekids am I right?
    NYU is a private univ so it doesn't charge OOS rates.

If your dad can afford to pay for NYU and pay $40k a year for you, then likely his income/assets are too high for you to qualify for need based aid anyway
    my dad not telling me how much he can afford for a college cost
    Ohio State is around 39K, UH Manoa around 30K those I can definitely afford. Schools like U.Indiana or Wisconsin (high 40k) I can probably afford
    :-?
This discussion has been closed.