Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cuomo Proposes Free Tuition at New York State Colleges for Eligible Students

Replies to: Cuomo Proposes Free Tuition at New York State Colleges for Eligible Students

• NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 2,313 Senior Member
    I didn't send an application. But thanks for the remainder as other future readers will know what to do
  • baker101460baker101460 Registered User Posts: 288 Junior Member
    ny higher ed services just answered my question i previously posted: the 30 credit per year requirement does not apply to persons with disabilities, rather the award will be prorated depending upon the number of credits you are taking, so for example if i was to go less than full time i could do so but the award would be proportionally reduced. so if i was taking 9 credits and 12 credits is full time i would get approximately 75% of the semester award. i am still unsure what they will do with the people who took time off due to their disability....hopefully they will not count this against me or anybody else who is a disabled student.

we shall see....
    edited July 2017
    btw i did see the regulations posted somewhere...is it legal to post a link to it here?
    maybe it's me, but, i have heard through the grapevine that nontraditional students--namely older students who took a prolonged break from college for any reason several years ago---are not eligible to receive this scholarship. also students have not heard anything as to their status for this semester since they applied late last year, forcing them to use loans or pay out of pocket.

just thought everybody should know before applying..
  • NoKillliNoKillli Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    "Aid official: Excelsior scholarship has lots of unanswered questions
    Local college aid officers say they can't get answers from the state"

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Aid-official-Excelsior-scholarship-has-lots-of-13124209.php
    to add more misery, i have heard that they are still processing appeals for excelsior dating last fall and spring!!

do you believe this????
    now i hear a recording saying they are updating accounts on a daily basis...i would start checking your HESC accounts for updates, ladies and gentlemen....
  • NoKillliNoKillli Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Not excelsior, but my son's HESC portal was updated last Thursday with his other scholarships and it hit his school account today. That means HESC sent the data out to schools last Thursday or Friday.

It looks like they are running 2 weeks behind where there were last year when looking the school account.

Keep checking and email them once per week if nothing shows on your HESC portal.
    edited August 26
    just read a story where it said that approximately 75 percent (and maybe more, much more) of applicants are denied the excelsior scholarship!!

it's beginning to sound like a pipe dream for most, i'm afraid....maybe a scam according to some.

hmmmm...comments anybody? would like to hear from the financial aid officers who frequent this board. the NYS senate and assembly should hold hearings and get to the bottom of this...something needs to be changed in the regulations...and fast!!!
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    Can you link to the story?
    you can also go to twitter and lookup #excelsiorscam, as well
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,231 Senior Member
    Thanks.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 38,202 Senior Member
    edited August 26
    Isn't the Washingtonexaminer a tabloid, ie. Unscrupulous in its spin so as to generate scandalous titles?
    And Twitter hashtags love nothing.

Excelsior isn't a scam.
    @sybbie719 may be able to shed light on this.