Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

4 keys for negotiating a better college aid offer

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,334 Senior Member
"... since families were allowed to submit their FAFSA aid forms earlier this year -- Oct. 1, 2016, instead of Jan. 1, 2017 -- it has created “a bigger window for considering all of their financial options. (Note: If you haven’t submitted a FAFSA yet, get cracking. Most colleges won’t process aid requests without it.)

Once you have aid offers to consider, your first move is psychological: Remember that you’re empowered to negotiate. You won’t know what the best offers are until you press for them. Here are four essential steps for doing that:" ...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-keys-for-negotiating-a-better-college-aid-offer/

Replies to: 4 keys for negotiating a better college aid offer

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,864 Senior Member
    There are also plenty of private universities that will NOT reconsider their financial aid offers. Both of our kids had that experience. Some schools do...and some schools do NOT...at all.
  • AlumDadMAAlumDadMA Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    Leverage one school against the other...remember, this is the business part. If you can find schools that are natural competitors, that is best. See Notre Dame and BC. Also, best chance is for your child's safety level schools. They are the most motivated to deep discount price in order to get your kids credentials to attend their school and bring up their averages.
  • suzy100suzy100 Registered User Posts: 4,294 Senior Member
    @AlumDadMA, I don't think that ND sees BC as a peer school. D was accepted to both - ND's aid was vastly superior. I can't see BC matching that, but I could be wrong.
  • AlumDadMAAlumDadMA Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    @suzy100 sorry, I was just using those two schools as an example.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,884 Super Moderator
    IME, Notre Dame sees Duke and Dartmouth as peers as there is a lot of overlap in students getting accepted to these schools.
  • robincornrobincorn Registered User Posts: 51 Junior Member
    Any good resources to determine what schools a specific college considers as a peer school. For example will Univ. of Pittsburgh consider Temple a peer school?
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    edited March 7
    "Any good resources to determine what schools a specific college considers as a peer school. For example will Univ. of Pittsburgh consider Temple a peer school?"

Maybe. But UPitt's merit standards are higher so you probably couldn't bring a Temple offer to them to 'negotiate', because an award for a 1400 SAT and decent GPA at Temple isn't the same as the like 1500+ level required for any merit at UPitt.

But maybe for financial aid. Definitely a big overlap in accepted students.
  • STEM2017STEM2017 Registered User Posts: 3,103 Senior Member
    In my opinion, a key point missed in this article is to get the student involved in the discussion. Maybe I am being naive, but I would bet that a financial aid officer or a college dean would rather hear the voice of the student than the parent during the process. I would also bet that the officer or the dean would continue the discussion on behalf of the student rather than put it on the pile with the rest of the parent discussions.

This would require some extensive coaching by the parents on the language of financial aid and their own personal situation. But I think we sometimes underestimate the persuasiveness and the abilities of our kids.

What do you think @CourtneyThurston?
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,596 Senior Member
    @CourtneyThurston Exactly! A college would be impressed with an applicant who is articulate and a self starter, not impressed by an applicant who uses mom and/or dad as a spokesperson.
  • LAClusterLACluster Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    What about grad schools? Are scholarships and loan packages from competing graduate programs considered negotiable to some extent?
    @TomSrOfBoston Thats pretty much what I said.
    I advocated for myself, and yes I think it was a lot more effective.

Thank you for confirming my point.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,884 Super Moderator
    Financial aid at grad school is totally different. Most of it is purely merit and how the work you plan on doing in grad school fits in with a professor that is doing that work. The prevailing wisdom is that if you are not going to a fully funded PhD program, then it is not worth it to go.