Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

French in USA

Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member

I am Mehdi, 16 years old, Senior student in my Paris High School. I will get on this next June my Scientific Baccalaureate, I also have participated to the DV Lottery ( getting the Green Card ), I'll have the results on this next May. I have been admitted to the Paris VI University, studying the Computer Science. My goal is to live in the USA.

I have looked at some colleges in the USA.

If I get the lottery, I will can get the provisional visa on Oct. 2017-May. 2018, and I will can go definitely between October 2017 and November 2019, perfect if I immigrate after the Freshman year.

I also have few money. I can't pay 67.000$ per year to study, when I pay 200$ per year in France ( even if French colleges are so . ). I have seen in-state tuitions in my universites, and what I see is more acceptable ( 3000-6000$ per year ). I know I will must fill out CSS and FAFSA forms, but how can I prove income when my parents don't file US tax forms, when I live with €, and when all of forms are filled in French language.

So I have two questions :

- How can I prove my income ?
- Is my plan acceptable ?


Replies to: French in USA

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,501 Senior Member
    edited March 19
    @Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.

    You do not live here. You will not be eligible for IN STATE tuition at any U.S. college or university because instate tuition is reserved for student's whose PARENTS live within a state, work and pay taxes there.

  • Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Even if I can prove the residency : with an ID or driving license for example ...
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,360 Super Moderator
  • Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    OK. So to be considered as in-state students, my parents must live in the USA, even if I'm an adult ...

    Isn't it ??
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,501 Senior Member
    edited March 19
    Residency for tuition purposes for undergrad students is based on the domicile of,their PARENTS.

    You will not be able to establish residency here unless your family moves here 12 months before you attend college here.

    And the vast majority of colleges willNOT grant instate tuition for students who are seekingit for education purposes ONLY...and that is clearly what you would be doing.

    Your PARENTS would need to prove their in state residency status for YOU to get instate tuition.

    Why public universities are you looking at here. There are a couple where you MIGHT...not...MIGHT be able to get instate tuition status...but this is not the norm...at all.
  • Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I understand that. Thx dude.
    But do private universities have in-state and out-of-state tuitions ?? With the Green Card can I fill out the FAFSA ?? Is it the same thing for Graduate students ??

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,501 Senior Member
    Are you going to be a grad student?

    Private schools have the same cost of attendance regardless of where you reside.

    Yes, once you have your green card, you can complete a fafsa, but the MOST you are guaranteed would be the Direct Loan ($5500 for freshmen) and up to $5800 of the Pell Grant. That total is NOT going to pay your cost to attend college here.

    Why don't you get your undergrad degree in France? Surely the cost would be FAR less.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,094 Senior Member
    Pell grants are for undergrad, not grad students. It's unclear how old you are and if you have an undergrad degree. Your parents also need to fill out the FAFSA if you are an undergrad and under 24. If your money is in euros, you have to convert to US$.

    Why do you want to study in the US? It is expensive. Why not stay in France and go for a lower cost?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 25,355 Senior Member

    You aren't eligible to be considered yet through the Diversity Lottery. In order to apply, you need to have finished secondary school.

    Did one of your parent's apply? Have they already been notified that your family's visas are pending?

    For good advice about applying to colleges in the US, contact the EducationUSA office in Paris: https://educationusa.state.gov/centers/fulbright-paris The counselors can help you.

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,501 Senior Member
    The OP is 16 years old. I'm guessing he must be talking about undergrad school.

    To the OP....your plan is flawed financially, getting a green card means you can complete a FAFSA form...and take out a federally funded loan which is $5500 for your first year in college. If you are eligible for a Pell Grant, you will also receive the amount for which you are eligible.

    You will NOT be able to establish instate residency for tuition purposes at public universities here.

    Private schools will have costs of attendance that can be $30,000 a year (York College in PA) or $72,000 a year (NYU)...with many private schools being in the $60,000 a year range.

    Where are you thinking you want to apply?

    How much can your parents pay each year?

    Why not get your bachelors in France?

  • Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Thanks guys. A lot of your answers say me "get the bachelor in France". The problem is that French higher education is so lousy. Imagine there isn't any real admission process in public universities, the result is catastrophic ...
    More than in universities, the problem concerns the entire country : it's a fact, France doesn't accept the entrepreneurship spirit with massive taxing and socialism ( 10% of unemployed and 20% of sales tax ) ... With your advices, I know I will try to avoid public universities and I will begin my studies in France. If I don't get the Green Card during my undergrad cycle, I will finish it in France and I'll go studying Master in the USA.
    I must notify any parent applied with me because they don't want to live in USA.

  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,958 Senior Member
    Aren't there some Canadian universities that give scholarships or instate tuition to french speaking students? Check into that at several Canadian unis. McGill I believe has a great reputation for computer science.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,958 Senior Member

    ^^^ read through this, especially about citizens of France.
  • Mehdi K. Fr. Dz.Mehdi K. Fr. Dz. Registered User Posts: 27 New Member
    6000€ without room and board ... It's a few limit. Therefore Quebec is not my objective because I'd like to live American, not "American-French" ( the definition of QC ).

    I'd like to know if I'm eligible to Pell Grants given by FAFSA ?? My principal objectives are private universities / colleges.

  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,958 Senior Member
    A Pell grant is about $6,000, a federal student loan $5,500, that barely pays for living expenses. How are you going to pay for private university tuition in USA?

    There are some good schools for CS in Switzerland as well.
Sign In or Register to comment.