Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Maintenance will occur on the site beginning at 10:00 am PT tomorrow morning. While it is very unlikely, this may result in intermittent down time. Thank you in advance for your understanding!

Verification form and no contact with parents

wtiedswtieds Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
My parent's aren't making it easy for me to fill out FAFSA correctly. For starters I'm 20 and haven't been claimed by either since i was 17.
I've tried to use my fathers information for the last two years at a community college but because he has income and yet does not file taxes, I always get verification forms that I'm unable to return correctly because he's, if you couldn't tell by the fact he doesn't file taxes, a little incompetent at getting paperwork together.
I'm applied for FAFSA at a new school this year and since I was never claimed by either parent and I'm currently on my own, but unable to file as dependent, I decided to try to use my mother's information, who has lacked income and a history of tax filing for 10 years. In fact, I don't even know how to get hold of her anymore. Haven't talked to her since I was 17. All I know is she is probably living off the money of a drug dealing boyfriend right now like she did throughout my high school career.
When I used her info for FAFSA I just put in zeros. I know I'll get a verification form for it. What I want to know is how should I be filling it out? Obviously I can't use the excuse of my dad being incapable of compiling paperwork together or my mom being an unheard from deadbeat. What kind of forms will I expect them to request? What do I do if I have zero access to any forms pertaining to her?

Thanks for any help. I'm afraid they'll look at my paperwork and somehow think I'm a fraud. I'm in a position that seems near impossible because of my parents. Dont' do this to your children.

Replies to: Verification form and no contact with parents

  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,875 Senior Member
    @kelsmom is a financial aid officer. She'll probably know how to handle it. If you live with your dad, you have to use his info.
  • NJRoadieNJRoadie Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    @wtieds It sounds like you need a Dependency Override. These are very hard to get and will require several letters from qualified people to attest to your situation (i.e. guidance counsellor, priest, close family friend). Search this site for more info. We helped our foster son get one, it was not easy but it is possible.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 8,142 Senior Member
    Where do you live- with your dad? How have you been paying for Community College?
  • wtiedswtieds Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I live on my own and have a full time job. I've been paying for my commumity college in full with my own income.
  • wtiedswtieds Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I don't live with either parent. I'm living on my own with a full time job.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,889 Super Moderator
    Unless you get a dependency override, turn 24 or meet some other standard (married, you have a child that you provide at least 51% support for, in the military, both parents are deceased, you are a ward of the court or legal guardianship) you are still a dependent student.

    This means that you must pick a parent. Since you know where your father is, then your best bet would be to use your father's income on your fafsa. It does not matter whether or not you are a dependent on his taxes or that you live on your own and pay your own bills. His not filing taxes and being incompetent is not going to be reason enough to get you an override.

    If he does not provide information to fill out the fafsa all you will be eligible for is an unsubsidized loan. Your best bet would be to help your father by helping him gather his information and filing his taxes (he may be eligible for a refund).
This discussion has been closed.