Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Why High School Senior Year Matters for College Financial Aid

Dave_BerryDave_Berry CC Admissions Expert Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
"Alerting a prospective college about an applicant's improved grades could mean more scholarship money." ...

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/paying-for-college/articles/2017-05-31/why-high-school-senior-year-matters-for-college-financial-aid

Replies to: Why High School Senior Year Matters for College Financial Aid

• CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,249 Senior Member
    The more annoying thing about the article is that it makes it sound like it was a function of the many phone calls rather than the better GPA and test scores, which is probably more of the reason for the better package.
  • ReidIsLovelyReidIsLovely Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    So lets say I had a 3.0 average for the years 9-11th, and all of a sudden I get a 4.0+ in senior year, then would that help with the financial aid, because I went from a 3.0 to a 4.0. (Hypothetically speaking)
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,520 Super Moderator
    Not at any of the schools where I have worked in financial aid. Most schools don't look at that sort of thing. If there are automatic scholarships based on grades, the senior year grades could possibly bump a student up to a better scholarship amount.
  • 1966Parent1966Parent Registered User Posts: 90 Junior Member
    I agree grades matter - but from my kids experience test scores appeared to delivery more merit money than anything.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,505 Senior Member
    I really feel for the FA offices who might get multiple, useless phone calls because of this article.
  • Otter517Otter517 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    In the narrative they told in the beginning of the article it sounded like the mother was doing all of the work. Wouldn't you're chances of getting more money go up if the student did the searching themselves? As a show of assertiveness and independence?