Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?


Replies to: My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?

  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Well I am trying to find an affordable college close to RMU, and I'm thinking maybe CCAC. Would I be able to get my masters from RMU if I graduate from a community college ?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    You have to get a bachelors degree. You are a rising junior. Most community colleges do NOT have four year teacher education programs.

    Please...why is it so important for you to be close to RMU. A boyfriend? What?

    This isn't making sense. The school is NOT affordable. Even community colleges have OOS tuition costs. You will STILL have living expenses.

    This doesn't make sense.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    Your goal is to become a teacher, the best way to do that is to attend a school you can afford, and requires little in loans, because once you work as a teacher you will have to pay all of these loans back.

    And a master's is going to require more loans.

    So where is your home state?

    Your parents were never in a financial situation to be able to help much if your EFC was $1500 last year and is $900 this year. And they were denied for the Plus loan.

    Now there are two in college which will make the affordability issue even harder.

    You can get a Pell grant, maybe state grant, and a student loan. You need to find a school where tuition, fees, and your living expenses are covered by the aid you can get.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    So...your home state is West Virginia. There are MUCH more affordable colleges there than in PA.

    Why are you getting an apartment near RMU? Why?

    Is there a college in WEst Virginia where you can commute from home? Go there...get your bachelors degree. Then move to PA...and find a teaching job.

    You cannot afford to,attend college in PA.

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    The cost of attendance at West Virginia University is just under $20,000 a year. You are instate for that college.

    On your other thread...you are looking for a college close to RMU that is $20,000 a year or so.

    So...what's wrong with WVU?

    Why is it so important to live near RMU.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    Going to a community college is not going to solve your problem. You already have too many credits and like thumper said you need to transfer to an affordable 4 yr university in your state that has elementary education if that's what you want to do.

    The teachers in PA that I know do not get a master's degree right away, they work several years to pay off student loans and do the master's online on a part time basis, while working as a teacher.

    For now you need to focus on getting your bachelor's degree first.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member

    find out about WV college grant program
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    Tuition and fees at WVU is $8000. With a $5000 Pell grant and possibly a state grant, and loan you might be able to live off campus in a shared apt.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    WVU is about 1 hr away from Pittsburgh. You have two more years of college. Then you can live in PA if you want
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    With federal and state aid, and your student loan you can attend an instate university and become a teacher. You are halfway there.

    In PA you pay out of state rates for tuition. Even at a community college which would not give you a bachelor's degree in education.
    Even at a PASSHE school, where the closest is also an hour or more away.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    This link mentions TEACH grant

  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member

    The forms page has the 2017/18 TEACH grant application.

    From what I understand you have to be at least a junior and have overall GPA of 3.25.

    The 5 yr dual degree program is listed. Elementary and Special Education.

    I think the TEACH grant is $4,000
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,085 Super Moderator
    @kenadeek wrote:

    With a teaching degree after you teach for so many years the government pays off the rest of your student loans

    this is after you work for 10 years as a teacher and make 10 years of student loan payments. The part that the government pays is also taxable income.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,962 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    I would be careful of the loan forgiveness programs. I've read that rules change and people who thought they were eligible end up getting denied. OP can't borrow enough anyway. The school costs ~$40k and she has ~$16k ($5k Pell, the $7500 student loan, and a ~$4k loan because her parents don't qualify for a PLUS loan). She has a gap of $24k and no way to pay it.

    OP, can you transfer back to your original college? The majority of your costs were covered there, right? I don't think you're going to be able to find a PA college that's affordable for an OOS student who has a budget of $16k. If you can't get reinstated at your old college, you can probably find an affordable option in your home state of W. VA. Are there any schools you can commute to from your parents' home?

    Your situation is difficult because you have too many credits to be able to enroll at a cc. You can't borrow money on your own, and PA schools aren't going to be affordable. I understand you want to live with your boyfriend. Is he attending college in PA? @Blossom may have some ideas, but in my opinion, if he can't afford to attend school in W. VA. and you can't afford college in PA, then if you want to finish school you're probably going to have to have a long distance relationship until you graduate.

    @mom2collegekids has rentals and kids old enough to be renters, so she can tell you if $500/mo. is enough for food, books, utilities, transportation, a cell phone plan, and personal expenses. I don't believe it is.
Sign In or Register to comment.