Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?


Replies to: My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?

  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    My parents pay for my cell phone plan and will send me money for food and personal stuff. I do need the whole $40k for tution bc I will be commuting from apartment which is 6 min from school and giant eagle where I work is right across campus. I will not be using much gas. Plus when I go farther place my boyfriend will drive. The amount of tuition should be $29,910 which with a financial package of $16,000 and then it would be approx. $14,000 for while year ($7,000 a semester) I am in the middle of applying for many scholarships. I also know WV gave a grant eligible for every schools and some Pa schools if I can be eligible for that which is $4000 extra. So brings down to $10,000, but I'm not sure. Does anybody know any scholarships I could apply for and grants ?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    It's July 16. It's a little,late to apply for,scholarships for the 2017-2018 academic year. I can't think of one scholarship that would still be available at this late date for THIS academic year.

    At this point you have two choices.

    1. Wait and see what your financial aid package is from RMU. Then you will need to make a quick decision about whether it is going to work...or not. Except for an increase in your Pell Grant, and $7500 in student loans, your aid will likely look the same as it did last year. If your parents are again denied a Plus...I thinkmwe calcukated your aid this year to be roughly $16,500.

    Did you apply for,the grant from West Virginia? Did you apply for it last year?

    2. See if you can get that education degree in West Virginia where college is affordable. There are a lot of long weekends, and school breaks. And summer next year. You can visit RMU on those occasions.

    Try to look at your end goal....getting your bachelors degree and a teaching job. That's the end game, right?

  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 15,037 Senior Member
    The loan forgiveness programs for teachers and public service (after 5 or 10 years) are NOT taxable. Loans forgiven after 20+ years of payment, or dismissed for permanent disability or dismissed for other reasons can be taxable.

    My sister had her teacher loans dismissed after 5 years. It was part of a program she entered for professionals and that was the intention all along. She went to school, worked 5 years in this program, and her loans were forgiven, as planned.

    Teachers have different programs for loan forgiveness than other public service programs (the ones currently under review by the dept of education). BUT the OP should investigate the programs and know exactly what they require.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    You said a sibling will also be in college. How are they paying for school?

    It's going to be harder than ever for parents to help financially with two in college.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member

    If you look into the TEACH grant, it is a federal grant to assist students who plan on becoming teachers in a high-need field in a low income area. Not all universities participate and administrate it. WVU has one of the qualified majors listed as elementary and special education dual degree.

    You also have to agree to work in a low income school district after graduation (I think tbe dept of education has a list of schools/districts that qualify) for a certain number of years.

    There might be minimum GPA as well.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,448 Senior Member
    1) contact RMU to let them know you're withdrawing for the semester, or they'll charge you even if you dont attend.
    2) find an online college. Beware that it will be difficult to get recognized for education, and it'll be impossible to transfer credits if you go through WGU since they don't have traditional grades and transcript.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,085 Super Moderator
    edited July 2017
    I agree with @austinmshauri I think you need to take the affordable brick and mortar option in WV and get your teaching credentials there. If your boyfriend who loves you can't support your achieving your educational goals, the way that you are supporting his educational goals, then you have a lot of talking to do.

    From a parent's perspective I would strongly discourage my child from being with someone with a lot of educational debt (may make exceptions for med/law school but then she made law school choices that gave her very little debt.). because it provides a window as to how they handle finances and it may affect their long term ability to purchase a house/car/vacations/kids (because educational debt is not dischargeable through bankruptcy)
    Post edited by sybbie719 on
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,448 Senior Member
    edited July 2017
    WVU or the school you attended for low cost before RMU would be the optimal choice. WVU is apparently no further than CalU you could take TTh only perhaps?
    Barring that, find a legit online program.
    (What about Penn state world campus, do they have education?)

    Don't forget to withdraw from RMU.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,962 Senior Member
    To completely withdraw from RMU you have to contact their registration office to withdraw from classes, residential life to withdraw from housing, and the dining office to withdraw from the meal plan. You can ask to be transferred to those offices after you talk to the bursar's office to set up a payment plan for the $13k you owe for last year.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    My suggestion at this point would be to,get your finances in order first. As you noted on your other thread...RMU is not going to release your transcript for last year until you get that $13,000 that wasn't paid...paid. Some schools will let you set up a payment plan and some won't. Talk to them to see what they will do.

    Unless my arithmetic is wrong, you have the $13,000 in debt PLUS an additional $11,500 in Direct loans for last year (because your parents were denied a Plus). So...you have $24,500 in debt just for last year.

    In my opinion, it is not a good move for you to take out any more loans at this time.

    Perhaps you should consider working full time at one job, and then get an additional part time job. Take a year OFF from attending college. Pay off the $13,000 debt to RMU.

    If you do take a year off, your Direct Loans will come up for repayment in December (6 months after you left college). Pay on those as well.

    Then find an affordable college for the 2019-2020 school year where you can finish your bachelors degree. This will also give you a year to really figure out what you want to do...you have mentioned several majors on this thread. It seems like your primary goal is to be a elementary school teacher...I think. So find an affordable way to complete that degree.

    If nothing else, you have learned that you can't just continue college without a way to reasonably pay the bills.

    Agree...make sure you completely withdraw from RMU...as soon as possible. You don't want to get charged anything for this upcoming academic year. TBH, with an outstanding debt of $13,000 from LAST year, it's unlikely they will allow you to attend anyway...but you MUST withdraw or that debt will increase.

    Is there any chance your boyfriend can consider moving closer to where YOU can afford to attend college?
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    The priority right now is to completely withdraw from RMU, set up a payment plan with them for the $13,000, contact your loan servicer and choose the repayment plan with the lowest monthly payment (income based or similar) for your student loans, and get a fulltime job. Is there a Walmart nearby? Or Aldi pays pretty well.

    You do not want to let the debt at RMU go. They might send it to collections, and that will negatively affect your credit rating and you will owe more money.

    You cannot attend college right now, until you pay this off, and then apply to a school where your federal and state aid covers your costs and doesn't require more than the student loan.

    Maybe you can live with your parents or boyfriends' parents for a year to get this balance paid off.

    Then figure out your next step with affordability in mind.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,085 Super Moderator
    Remember if you let your federal loans go into default you will not be eligible for federal aid. You need a plan to resolve your current issues before you entertain the thought of more debt
Sign In or Register to comment.