Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?


Replies to: Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?

  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    If you are very well organized and self-disciplined, and want to consider an online program, check out Western Governor's University, which is non-profit, accredited, inexpensive, and has a very good teaching program.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    It does not make sense to pay the same tuition as WVU or more to go attend a community college where you cannot get the degree you need.

    It does not make sense to attend IUP or Clarion or CalU or Slippery Rock at twice the tuition cost of WVU, when they are the same distance or further from Pittsburgh than WVU.

    People are trying to help you get the teaching degree you want, but in another thread we were not given enough information or in bits and pieces to give you the best advice for your situation.

    And you might not like it but the reality is that you can only count on the Pell grant in PA, and the student loan. That is not going to cover OOS tuition at a public or private PA school. And if it covers tuition, then not your living costs.

    At WVU you probably would qualify for a state grant, Pell, and maybe TEACH grant, depending on the education major you are in, not all qualify. Then you could find an apt if you cannot commute from home, with roommates it should be more affordable.

    WVU is not that far and you could afford to go there and finish your degree.

    I still don't understand why you left the first college, if you only had to pay $69. And then transferred to RMU where tuition is $30,000. But the past is the past, now you need a feasible plan to get your degree with the aid you have available.

    I would try to limit the loan amount you take out as well. Elementary teachers don't earn a high salary, at least in rural PA where I'm from.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 32,448 Senior Member
    In Pennsylvania, community colleges mostly lead to a system known as PASSHE. Those used to be teaching colleges so you can get your teaching licensure at all of them. You can spend two years at a cc then two years at a PASSHE sxhool to become a teacher.
    What township is RMU in and what PASSHE school is nearest?

    NOTE: work study is typically linked to enrollment at a college. How do you get work study at RMU without enrolling there?
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    RMU is in moon township the closet PASSHE school is in California PA which is an hour away, is there anyway I could take classes online.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    CCAC is a community college. It offers ASSOCIATES degrees (not bachelors degrees), certificate programs.

    It does NOT offer four year degree programs. You also have already completed two years of college. I can't imagine what you would even take for courses there that would be able to used towards your bachelors degree.

    To become a teacher...you need a bachelors degree from a college that gives bachelors degrees and offers a orgram in teacher education. CCAC doesn't do that.

    The only thing CCAC fulfills...it's affordable. Maybe. Keep in mind, schools,can only award you need based aid that is up to their cost of attendance. So, it's very possible that you would not get $16,500 a year in financial aid at CCAC.

    If you really want to become a teacher...you need to go to a college that is affordable, and has a teacher education program awarding the bachelors degree.

    And really...you could get that in West Virginia for a very modest and likely affordable cost.

    Also, as noted above someplace...the term younstudent teach...which will be one of your senior year terms, you will not be able to work TWO jobs, and might not be able to work one.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    Myos, see my reply , post #17.

    The student is OOS for PA, and PASSHE schools are going to cost like $15,000 for tuition, and are a similar distance from RMU as WVU.

    The only aid in PA as OOS is Pell at about $5k, and student loan if parents are denied plus of up to $12,500.

    In WV the student would most likely get a state grant as well.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    I don't understand why I can't go to a community college in pa graduate then get my masters at bigger college

    Associates degrees at community colleges are two year programs. This CC does not award bachelors degrees...just associate degrees.

    You NEED a bachelors degree, not an associates degree, that includes student teaching, to get a teaching job...and then to get your masters or just teach.

    You can't just jump to a masters degree from an associates degree in education.
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I want to be a teacher but also thinking about maybe getting a paralegal degree which initially only take two years to get, and can be done very cheaply as well. My Boyfriend mother did it and it only cost her $4,000 for the two year and she makes great money with bonuses included. My brother is going to school in WV and is still $7,000 short on tution and my parents are sure how to pay for that. I don't think I'll be able to finish getting my teaching degree at all after all the information you have given me.
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Is there any good colleges that offering teaching degree online ?
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 682 Member
    edited July 2017
    @kenadeek As I mentioned in my previous post, check out Western Governors University.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 64,970 Senior Member
    Why is your definition of "good"? In my opinion, as an educator, you need a program where you have some practicum experiences starting now. The "good" teaching programs around here have junior year mini assignments in schools...some observational, some actual participation.

    Then there is student teaching as well.

    Unless an online school offers these options, I would not call it "good" in terms of your job application prospects in the future. Remember, there will be a LOT...like a couple hundred...applicants for,good jobs in high paying school districts.

    You need a teaching degree that is going to give you the experiences needed to be a competitive applicant.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    I don't think becoming a paralegal in Pittsburgh is that cheap. CCAC if it offers it, costs about $8,000 OOS for tuition.

    WVU if dorming might be unaffordable, but tuition is $8,000 and not sure how much room and board on campus is. Your brother would get the same $5,000 Pell grant, a few thousand state grant, and a max $9,5000 loan.
    That should not leave a $7,000 gap.

    Is your brother going to a private school in WV?

    What was the school that cost $69? Could he go there? Could you go back there now that your GPA improved.

    I don't think you should give up on becoming a teacher if you want to be a teacher. If you and your brother attended WVU, maybe you could rent an apt together if it's too far to commute from your parents' house.

    You should have enough aid for that because the tuitioon is only $8,000, probably almost covered by Pell and state grant. Leaving the loan amount of you and your brother for living costs.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    Sorry that should be $9,500 loan max for brother
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    My brother got he financial aid package from WVU and the gap was $7,000. No college is cheap. I just want to have a good job and make decent money most about $60,000 a year. CCAC offers paralegal and if $8,000 without financial assistance it would probably be about $3,000 per year which my family could make payments on. Also looking at western governors for possibly perusing teaching online that way I can still get my apartment with my boyfriend.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,342 Senior Member
    I don't think you can do an entire elementary education degree online.

    But you can call Cal U and Slippery Rock which are closest and inquire about that, but also about the costs you would have to pay.

    I believe non resident tuition (if you qualify for reduction with a 3.0 cum GPA as transfer) is $14,000 per year, and SRU is about 50 min away from Moon PA.

    You'd be further ahead to go to WVU and be about the same distance, but less cost.
Sign In or Register to comment.