Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

2017 Automatic Full Tuition/ Full Ride scholarships

Replies to: 2017 Automatic Full Tuition/ Full Ride scholarships

• TTNL2405TTNL2405 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    @ucbalumnus Thank you for your info about the scholarships of Howard Uni. However, why can't I see such information on their official site? (still I can see it on Fastweb or other sources). And I'm also wondering whether those scholarships are available for international applicants or not? Thank in advance.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 62,843 Senior Member
    Interesting... it used to be at the bottom of https://www2.howard.edu/student-financial-services/cost-of-attendance but is not there any more. You may want to ask the school directly about them.

Historically, Howard has offered the scholarships to international students, but you may want to ask the school directly to find out if this is still the case.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,137 Senior Member
    No amounts now, perhaps they are re-doing them (or eliminating any guarantees) for this coming app season.
    The Howard University Freshman Scholarship (HUFS) Program is designed to assist accepted First-Time-in-College students who have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement throughout their secondary school career and have chosen to attend Howard University. Scholarships are automatically awarded on a first-come, first-served, basis to eligible candidates. A separate application is not required. (Scholarships are awarded until all funds have been exhausted and not all eligible applicants will receive an award).
  • SnowflakeDogMomSnowflakeDogMom Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    edited August 21
    Howard seems to have changed up what it is offering - can anyone find anything about the specifics?
    I'm not finding a merit calculator like there used to be.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,398 Senior Member
    edited August 25
    Deleted
  • dowzerwdowzerw Registered User Posts: 2,214 Senior Member
    Following. Thanks for this valuable info.
  • Dking26Dking26 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean by first come first served..
    "First come first served" means that the earlier applicants will get the scholarships until they run out. Later applicants, even if they meet the scholarship criteria, will not receive the scholarships after they run out.
  • SnowflakeDogMomSnowflakeDogMom Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    Howard used to spell out what the Freshman scholarships consisted of based on ACT/SAT and GPA scores - they had a grid of guaranteed merit that also included the first come first served wording. Now, they still say first come first served but there are no specifics of what they are offering in terms of merit. My DD applied as soon as they opened up to applications based on the former wording but we have no idea what they will offer if anything.
  • TnTWalterTnTWalter Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    are there lists based on region? primarily interested in midwest. I started a new thread sorry didn't realize this one was still active.
  • kareUdonkareUdon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Really downed me that there's none for Minnesota. What's up with that?
  • kareUdonkareUdon Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited October 14
    ===MASSACHUSETTS===

Boston University - Trustee Scholarship
    Application deadline: Apply by common app by December 1st
    Award: full value of tuition (in-state or out-of-state)
    Requirements: Average scholar that's chosen has a 4.0 GPA and is in top 5% to 10% of class, but not required.

For more info: https://www.bu.edu/admissions/apply/tuition-aid-scholarships/scholarships/trustee/
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 10,137 Senior Member
    ^ that one is not automatic, @kareUdon . This particular thread is for scholarships guaranteed to all who meet the GPA/score requirements.

BU's is competitive and so belongs on (and is on) this list:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/15889078#Comment_15889078
    Revision (new URL):

Jackson State University
    Application deadline: 2/15
    Award: Full Tuition, Room, Board, Fees and Books (Campus Only) (Presidential Academic Scholarship)
    Requirements: 3.50 HS GPA in college preparatory curriculum, 28 ACT or old SAT 1250; renewal at 3.50 college GPA with 15 credits each semester.
    Award: Full Tuition, Room and Board (Campus Charges Only) (Full Academic Scholarship)
    Requirements: 3.0 HS GPA in college preparatory curriculum, 25 ACT or old SAT 1130; renewal at 3.25 college GPA with 15 credits each semester.
    Award: Tuition (Tuition Academic Scholarship)
    Requirements: 3.0 HS GPA in college preparatory curriculum, 23 ACT or old SAT 1050; renewal at 3.25 college GPA with 15 credits each semester.
    http://www.jsums.edu/admissions/files/2017/10/hsacademicscholarshipappl.pdf
  • nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,366 Senior Member
    ^^^^Re: Jackson State

The link also says the second two scholarships listed above exclude an oos fee of approximately $5000 per semester.