Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

IRS DRT will be back for 2018-2019 ... with some changes

Replies to: IRS DRT will be back for 2018-2019 ... with some changes

• gaupmwgaupmw Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    We're in the same boat as some parents above in that we used the DRT instead of directly entering our data (big mistake in hindsight) and did not see any popup window question about how much of our pension distributions were rollovers...we did a lot of pension plan consolidation last year and ALL of the $ were rollovers. As a result of not being able to make this huge adjustment, our EFC was absurdly high, and now we're trying to figure out how to get this corrected at two schools. There was NO way to correct this via a FAFSA correction, even trying to use the DRT over and over again. It just doggedly stayed stuck on "Transferred from the IRS..." Never again--I'll just type the data in so I can see it myself. Oh, and ironically, the IRS data will not be shown for security reasons, but all the schools ask for nearly a complete set of tax records (which have SSNs, AGIs, ALL of our data) as part of fixing this, and EMAILING these (unencrypted) is fine as far as they're concerned. :-(
  • austinpopaustinpop Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    austinpop wrote:
    The only other slight wrinkle is that the new SAR now shows that our application is now "selected for verification." I don't know if this is automatic, due to the fact a DRT field was overridden, or whether there is something else that triggered this. Either way, it's not a big deal, but worth a mention.

Well, the saga continued, believe it or not.

A few days after the modified SAR hit my daughter's school's Fin Aid system, it picked up on the fact that her FAFSA had now been flagged for verification, so we had to submit additional forms, and an IRS return transcript. And of course, when you go to the IRS transcript site, it tells you its online system is down, so you must request it by mail!

It has now been a few weeks since we submitted this latest round of verification documents, and for now, the school's online system seems to indicate they have everything they need.

This really has been like a game of whack-a-mole, and I am afraid the next mole that needs whacking will pop up unexpectedly soon!
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,817 Senior Member
    The way I understand it, you can only enter the rollover amount AFTER initially using DRT, there is a check box or something there to enter the amount. If you miss it then, you cannot do it later.

Also, if tax transcript is required, you can go to a local IRS office and get the transcript there.
  • austinpopaustinpop Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    Nah - it was easy enough to get it by mail. Came within a week.