Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Scholarship for Service programs?

FRCMandyFRCMandy Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
I was wondering what programs are out there that provide scholarships/funding for college in return for promising to work a set number of years after college. I'm going into engineering and I'm a current high school senior if that is of any help

Replies to: Scholarship for Service programs?

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,965 Senior Member
    edited August 10
    Aid now for undergrad with a promise to work after graduation?

    I know of only one.

    If you live in NY and are a resident of that state...and graduated from HS there...there is a STEM scholarship which I believe gives you free tuition at a NY public if you major in a STEM field... and you agree to stay and work IN NY state for a certain number of years.

    But you are from Kansas so this won't help you....at all.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 14,545 Senior Member
    ASU has a program for working community serve while in school (not after). Some programs offer loan forgiveness for public service post graduation.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,883 Senior Member
    I've read your other posts and I think you're taking the wrong approach to your search. You can't pay much for college because your parents have high medical bills, and anything they do pay will come from their savings. You haven't mentioned your EFC so we don't know whether or not you'll qualify for a federal Pell grant, but you have a 31 ACT and 4.0 UW GPA so you can probably get some merit. You want to study biomedical engineering but your home state of KS doesn't seem to offer it so you want to go OOS.

    I think the advice in your other threads was good. Other engineering majors can get you to the same place and those majors are available in state. You never really responded to questions about how much your parents said they could pay, but that's a number you need to know. The best aid comes from schools and many will reduce their aid if you get outside scholarships, so even if you find an outside scholarship it may not reduce your out-of-pocket costs.

    How much have your parents said they can pay? Are you an only child or do they have other children to put through college? Do you qualify for a Pell grant? You can take the federal student loan (~$5500/year) and if you work summers you can probably earn ~$3k/year. If your parents can pay $5k/year, you probably could make something work if you find a tuition grant.

    How did the ACT retake go? A 32 would help with merit aid. Make sure to apply to some financial safeties that you know for sure you can pay without taking on a lot of debt.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 9,165 Senior Member
    The Cybercorps Scholarship for Service program is one such program, but it is for Cyber Security majors.

Sign In or Register to comment.