Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

In-State Tuition

Anonymous11PAnonymous11P Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
If I were to move to another state in order to receive in-state tuition at an institution, when would I need to do it by? I am a rising senior and I am thinking about moving to a state with a competitive public institution that I could attend but I do not know when I need to make the move by. Would it be possible for me to attend a different university for 2 years, then move to let's say Michigan and attend University of Michigan Ann Arbor (assuming I'm accepted). Thank you guys in advance!

Replies to: In-State Tuition

  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Registered User Posts: 1,983 Senior Member
    The short answer is that you would need to move to the state and live there for at least one year and prove to the institution that you did not move there for the purposes of education. This is purposely made almost impossible or everyone would do it. Public schools are supported by the tax dollars of the residents of that state to support fellow residents, not people trying to game the system.

    This question has been asked and answered literally hundreds of times on this site. Search is your friend.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,895 Senior Member
    Even more, your family would need to move there and be residents of the state for at least a year. Your residency follows your parents or guardians. I doubt your family would pick up and move a year or more in advance of your applying to colleges merely for you to get in state rates. As was mentioned even if they did that you still might not be eligible for instate rates. There are a couple of circumstances that could change that but it would require you being entirely emancipated. Not something you do as much as are. I would suggest working with the hand your dealt and don't spend time trying to figure out ways to game the system.
  • Anonymous11PAnonymous11P Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    I apologize for my ignorance on the topic. So I'm assuming with that in mind that I would have had to move to X location by the beginning of my junior year?
  • MaineLonghornMaineLonghorn Super Moderator Posts: 31,791 Super Moderator
    Each state is different, so you would need to check with each school. It IS possible to get in-state residency in Texas, starting your sophomore year, although it is difficult. The school was quite happy to tell us how to do it.
  • Anonymous11PAnonymous11P Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    Thanks to all who answered!!
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    Also in most states you would have to be self supporting during that interim year. No financial support from your family.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,965 Senior Member
    Your post is confusing.

    1. Are you hoping to move to Michigan as a college junior? And apply there as a junior applicant? If so...the answer is MAYBE....but only if your whole family relocates to Michigan and establishes that as their domicile for,reasons OTHER than your education.

    2. Where are you planning to go first? If it's a public university in your current state...and your parents move...you could lose your instate status THERE.

    3. Your parents would need to move to Michigan. It would be best to do that now so you graduate from a Michigan high school. There is a poster on this forum who lived in Michigan for YEARS as an adult...and had to petition for instate status for grad school...because he didn't graduate from a Michigan HS.

    Even if they move now...you might have difficulty gaining instate status for your first year.

    4. If you have instate status in another state for your sophomore year of college...it's not probable that you will easily get instate status at University of Michigan for your junior year of college.

    @romanigypsyeyes your thoughts? And do you remember the name of the poster who was an adult who did eventually get that instate status...but has to jump through hoops to do so?

    5. @MaineLonghorn Texas has more liberal rules governing gaining instate status than Michigan. There are a couple of other states that are also easier in terms of gaining instate status...Utah is another. @twoinanddone am I correct on that?

    6. I looked at your other posts. Did your SAT score come up as you hoped? The first hurdle anywhere is getting accepted. As a college junior applicant, your SAT score might not be considered...but to transfer to Michigan...you would need to be at the very top of the game as a college student.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,965 Senior Member
    Is this still your possible college application list? This was from last November.

    Did your SAT score improve?

    How would you pay for these colleges?

    - Northeastern University
    - Babson College
    - Bentley University
    - Brandeis University
    - Boston University

    Reach schools:
    - Harvard University
    - University of Pennsylvania
    - Cornell University
    - New York University (semi-reach?)
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,830 Senior Member
    Michigan is very strict. To qualify through high school attendance, you have to start attending your sophomore year.

    Until you're 24, you're assumed to be dependent and it's your parents who have to demonstrate residency. Usually done by proving you moved for a job.
  • Anonymous11PAnonymous11P Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    @thumper1 #1 is definitely not an option, though a good one for families that would wish to make that much of a lifestyle change just for education

    I am currently a rising high school senior and was just curious if I had a chance at governing in-state tuition at a more prestigious in-state university. #2, as you suggested, is most definitely a strong possibility for financial purposes so I wouldn't want to risk losing my residency in my home state.

    It's quite funny because when I made the post with what my SAT scores were I had never taken the actual test but just guesstimated from students similar to myself as to what I would receive. I got a 1300 but have been studying hard for the August SAT and hope to hit the 1400's

    That is most definitely not still my college list. I come from a small town and did realize just the amount of rigor that others put into this process - which is truly incredible I must admit.

    - Northeastern University
    - Providence College
    - Bryant University
    - Babson College
    - Bentley University
    - Boston College
    - Endicott College
    - (in-state college of choice)

    I am thinking that each of my parents will be able to at least contribute 20k for both of the first 2 years. I don't know how much aid I would realistically receive from some of these schools though...

    @romanigypsyeyes yeah, I can definitely believe they would have very strict rules regarding residency.

    Just as a general note, I did not make this thread in attempt to 'cheat the system,' just to be able to review my options so that I am both making the best decision economically and educationally for myself. :)
  • gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 2,774 Senior Member
    @Anonymous11P That is a lot of money for your parents to contribute each year. I would speak to them ASAP to see if that level of contribution is realistic.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 11,628 Senior Member
    In general states with prestigious state flagships will make it difficult if not impossible for an OOS student to pay in state tuition. States with non-prestigious state universities and declining college age populations will make it easier. Maine is an example of the latter.
Sign In or Register to comment.