Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I live with one parent but the other that I dont live with is going to pay for mi tuition


Replies to: I live with one parent but the other that I dont live with is going to pay for mi tuition

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,420 Senior Member
    @International Dad

    The OPs parents are divorced. The OP loves with his dad and stepmom. They are his custodial parents. His mom is not included on his fafsa.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,420 Senior Member

    Your counselor is a little wrong.

    If your parents were still married...and your mom was working in another country...she WOULD need to have her income on the FAFSA. Married custodial parents can be working on the moon...and their incomes MUST be reported on the FAFSA.

    But YOUR parents are divorced...and you live with your dad...so your dad's and stepmom's incomes are what is ON your FAFSA. If they receive any child support for you,.,that also needs to be included.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,813 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    I'm not sure I understand your posts. For the FAFSA, you use your dad AND stepmom's incomes. If a college requires you to complete the CSS Profile, you have to include theirs PLUS your mom's. You're going to have to get actual figures.

    And for those wondering y I feel guilty is because growing up as Hispanic in the USA for a few years had show me how Mexicans and salvadorians with a lot of children waste their federal aid on beer and parties sorry if I offend anyone but it's 8 out of 10 Central Americans that do this.
    Do you have a source for this statistic?

  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 117 Junior Member
    edited September 12
    @SawLead don't feel guilty you are gonna use your federal aid to pay school not for buy beer.

    we agree that many people bother us that abuse the system and there are many, of all places and races, also many American citizens born in USA.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,539 Senior Member
    If stepmom works for Walmart, then she's legally here. Your FAFSA will income dad and stepmom's income....sounds like too high for a Pell grant.

    Talk to your mom to find out how much she'll pay for college.

    Your mom is a doctor and you want to become a doctor. Does your mom realize that in the US, medical school is AFTER college? Is she fine with paying for college, even though that is not medical school? Ask her how much she'll pay.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,535 Senior Member
    Maybe let's not diss other people/cultures.

    OP, you need to learn what the Fafsa requires. Plenty of sites and books can help. And if you want colleges that use the CSS Profile, too, learn what that's about.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 32,505 Senior Member
    You literally cannot use financial aid for beer unless you have a refund- most of which are EXTREMELY small if they exist at all.

    Your financial aid goes to pay for any and all billed fees before it can even begin the journey to your bank account.
Sign In or Register to comment.