Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I live with one parent but the other that I dont live with is going to pay for mi tuition

SawLeadSawLead Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
Ok so i live with my dad and stepmom but neither of them are going to pay for my tuition ( not even a penny), the thing is my mom who lives at Peru is going to pay for my tuition she makes as x2 times as an American obstetrician in Peru she works at a prestigious clinic. She is just paying for a heart transplante, is there anyway I can fill the fafsa info with her info because I am middle class here in the US and I don't feel like taking money to the country In which I wasn't born.

Replies to: I live with one parent but the other that I dont live with is going to pay for mi tuition

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,509 Senior Member
    You MUST use your custodial parent and spouse on the fafsa...that is what is required.

If your mom pays for,your college costs...that will be reflected on a future FAFSA form.

Is your dad very low income? If your school uses only the FAFSA, the school likely doesn't meet full need.

Just be honest...fill it out the way you are supposed to.

If you are a U.S citizen or permanent resident...you shouldn't feel guilty about getting the aid you get. Unless you are low income...the only federally funded aid you will get guaranteed...is a loan.

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    Wow, this is confusing. Not sure who's getting a transplant or what you mean by "taking money to the country In which I wasn't born." If you were born in the US and pay US tuition, nothing is going to another country. If you were born in Peru, do you mean you don't want to pay for a US college?

If Dad is the custodial parent, he fills out the Fafsa. If you get aid, or don't, you said Mom will pay the bills. Be sure she knows the costs and can afford them.
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,821 Senior Member
    In your other threads you said you're a US resident who lives in Arkansas, your dad earns $45k/year, and you have a 3.5 GPA and 26 ACT. If you file the FAFSA, you'll probably qualify for a Pell grant of up to ~$5k/year and you can take the ~$5500/year federal student loan. How much can your mom pay per year? If she can't pay much you probably can't go to school OOS.
  • Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,331 Senior Member
    How much does your step mom earn?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,545 Senior Member
    edited September 12
    Your mom is going to pay for your schooling, that is fine.

Use your stepmom/dad's info on FAFSA since you live with them. That is the rules.

The fact that your mom is going to pay your tuition does NOT mean that you shouldn't use your stepmom/dad's info on FAFSA. Does your mom pay your dad child support for you? If so, that amount will also go on FAFSA.

Your post is confusing; maybe because English isn't your first language. Not sure what you mean by "taking money from the county....."

BTW....you don't have to fill out FAFSA at all if you don't want. Just let mom pay for your schooling. FAFSA is not required by any school.
    edited September 12
    @mom2collegekids it's possible that this student will qualfy for a portion of the Pell Grant IF their parent AGI really is under $45,000 a year...and their FAFSA EFC comes out low enough.

So, in this case, if they want the Pell, they would heed to complete the fafsa.

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,545 Senior Member
    Yes, that is true. However, if the very affluent parent is paying child support, then perhaps that would kill the Pell Grant.

But he'd have to submit FAFSA for that. Perhaps dad is afraid to submit because his wife is undocumented??

@SawLead does your stepmom work?
    So...DAD earns $45,000 a year. What does stepmom earn?? Both will need to be included on the FAFSA.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 24,599 Senior Member
    If Mom earns 2x as much, if that's 2x $45k, that's not a lot to pay college costs. Think some numbers off somewhere.
    Or is it 2 times what she would earn as a doc here???
  • International DadInternational Dad Registered User Posts: 118 Junior Member
    For me the post its clear, perhaps because english is not our first lenguage (both write wrong) :)) I understood he/she feel bad to receive money applying with Dad (low income)to Facsa because mom (high income)is going to pay for College.
    He/she feel cheating.
    I'm not sure, but I think information from both parents must be in Facsa application.
    I don't know because my son can't apply for Fafsa, but if you honestly answer the questions its not cheating. Facsa its a right to citizens and permanent residents.
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,886 Senior Member
    I'm not sure, but I think information from both parents must be in Facsa application.

Not true in every case, including this one because OP's mother does not live with OP.
  • SawLeadSawLead Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Thanks everyone I'm just finished of reading my post and it doesn't make sense sorry that I haven't proofread my post before posting.
    Yeah today I went o my counselors office and she told me that I can't actually use info out of the country unless I am an international student which ain't. For those wondering I am an American resident green card holder and my dad is an American citizen. I'm not sure about my stepmom legal status since I lack in communication at my house both with my dad and my stepmom but she works at Walmart and they are married paying for brand new 4 bedroom house. I don't have siblings in college or whatsoever but I got 1 stepbrother who is in middle school I'm pretty sure she receives child care or used to received federal aid for the kid. That's all the info that I know that could impact my apps. And for those wondering y I feel guilty is because growing up as Hispanic in the USA for a few years had show me how Mexicans and salvadorians with a lot of children waste their federal aid on beer and parties sorry if I offend anyone but it's 8 out of 10 Central Americans that do this.
  • SawLeadSawLead Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    And I was lying about how much my dad makes he says he makes a lot but I don't believe him. I have find out that he is a painter at a company called Baldor in Arkansas.
  • TQfromtheUTQfromtheU Registered User Posts: 939 Member
    @SawLead what people do with aid they have rightly received is on them. Complete your FAFSA application properly with your dad and stepmom, using their filed tax return.