Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Music lessons in college qualified withdrawal?

privateIDprivateID Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
My son is doing a double major where music is one of the majors. Are payments for music lessons billed through the school considered a qualified 529 withdrawal?

He's in his first semester and I believe he will get scholarships for lessons in the future. However, for the first semester they charged him close to $800 on his bill. I didn't see anything in pub 970 about it.

Thanks

Mark

Replies to: Music lessons in college qualified withdrawal?

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,886 Senior Member
    Will academic credit be awarded as a result of taking the music lessons? Are the lessons a required element of the music major?
  • amNotarobotamNotarobot Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    I think the music lessons required as part of the class and billed by the school eventually will be shown as part of Box 2 of 1098-T. If it ends up there, then, it should be a qualified tuition. We are in the same shoes, waiting to see if the recent charge of $1,200 for piano lessons through the college will be on the 1098 T (which I think most likely).
  • privateIDprivateID Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    For some reason I didn't think he was getting credit for it, but he is. So, I think it clearly would be a qualified withdrawal. I don't usually (I have another in college) use the 1098-T for anything because it's always not included stuff eligible for 529 purposes (for example, when I pay Spring's tuition in December and I believe room/board).
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,886 Senior Member
    For some reason I didn't think he was getting credit for it, but he is. So, I think it clearly would be a qualified withdrawal. I don't usually (I have another in college) use the 1098-T for anything because it's always not included stuff eligible for 529 purposes (for example, when I pay Spring's tuition in December and I believe room/board).

I agree that if academic credit is being earned with the music lessons, the lessons should be QEE for 529 purposes. I also agree about the problems with a 1098-T. The figures reported on the 1098-T are geared towards assisting with the claim of an education tax credit; however, as you have pointed out, the educational tax credits and the 529 rules use different definitions of the term "Qualified Education Expense" (room and board for example).
  • privateIDprivateID Registered User Posts: 173 Junior Member
    @BelknapPoint Thanks. As always you are clear and thorough.