Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Divorced parents

hunter585hunter585 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Lot's of great information here. I have a situation that I can't figure out regarding if my co-parent or I fill out the FAFSA. Joint custody and equal 50%. I receive child support but pay for health care and other expenses. I claim children on taxes. I feel our situation is so mixed, I'm not sure who should fill out the FAFSA. Thank you.

Replies to: Divorced parents

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,473 Senior Member
    If you indeed split 50/50 in terms of where the kiddo resides, then the parent who provides the MOST financial support is the one listed as the custodial parent. Usually this is the parent with the higher income is the one.

    Taxes, court custody, health insurance...none of that matters. It's who the kid lives with MOST in the 365 days prior to the filing of your FAFSA. And if it's really equal (not sure how,that can be when the year has an odd NU,bet of days) then the parent providing the most support is the one listed.

    So...answer this question. Where did your kid live MOST this past year...woth you...or with his other parent?
Sign In or Register to comment.