Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Your Child's Unsubmitted 2017-2018 FAFSA Correction

uwalummomuwalummom Registered User Posts: 341 Member
Did anyone get this email from FederalStudentAidFAFSA@cpsemail.ed.gov?

WHY WE ARE CONTACTING YOU

Your child started and saved a correction to his/her 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web, but has not submitted the correction for processing.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

It is important that your child's school have accurate information to determine his/her eligibility for federal student aid. If the information originally reported on the FAFSA needs to be corrected, the saved correction must be completed, signed, and submitted in order for it to be processed. If your child no longer needs to correct his/her FAFSA, you can disregard this e-mail notification and do not need to take any action.

You and your child should go to https://fafsa.gov and click "Login" to access the saved correction. After logging in, your child will have the option to continue the correction using the save key he/she created.

WHERE TO GO IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED HELP

If you have questions or need help, visit https://fafsa.gov and click the "Help" icon on the FAFSA home page.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter.

U.S. Department of Education
Federal Student Aid

This seems strange to me..son got the same email (your instead of your child). It came at 2:08 this morning. Son's 2018/19 fafsa was completed 10/1.

Replies to: Your Child's Unsubmitted 2017-2018 FAFSA Correction

• sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,836 Super Moderator
    edited October 9
    Did your son log in and try to make corrections since 10/1?
    a correction can be as simple as putting additional schools on the FAFSA (especially if he is applying to more than 10 schools).
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,517 Senior Member
    And if someone logged in to make corrections...did they remember to submit again??
  • uwalummomuwalummom Registered User Posts: 341 Member
    Thanks for your reply :) I sent him an email asking, but he wasn't up yet. He will be a sophomore in college next year. Just no idea why he would have went into the 2017/18 fafsa, if he would have logged in at all.
    Who electronically signed his FAFSA? Did he need to do that?
    He emailed back that he did not go into his last year's fafsa. I remember trying to view it because something seemed different about this one than last year's. Maybe I clicked something that indicated a change inadvertently. I was just thrown off that they would be emailing a week later.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,530 Super Moderator
    If you go into the FAFSA through the Make a Correction link, I think it's possible you may receive that email even if you didn't change anything. I am not 100% sure how the processor knows you actually made any adjustments before you submit, so I am guessing that any time you go in through the Make a Correction link, it might remember you went there & check to see if you ever submitted a change. FSA doesn't publish that level of logic-detail, so I can't know that for sure - but that would be my best guess.
    OHHHHH. You are talking about the 2017-2018 fafsa...not the 2018-2019 one.

Any chance you went in to check something before you completed this year's? Ah...I see you tried to. Perhaps they thought you meant to resubmit.
    @kelsmom That must be it. :)

Thank you everyone for your replies!