Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Help with CSS Profile for Noncustodial Parent

englibsci18englibsci18 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
Hi there. I need to fill out a CSS profile for my mother who is my noncustodial parent and I need to use my CSS ID to log in to the form. Problem is, what I think is my CSS ID isn't working and customer support is offline for the weekend, so....When I log in to my CB account and view the profile I already filled out with my dad, at the top right of the page there is a 7-character CBFinAid ID that I figured was the CSS ID. But when I copy and paste that into the field for CSS ID it tells me it's not.

So my question is, where do I find my CSS ID?

Replies to: Help with CSS Profile for Noncustodial Parent

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,886 Senior Member
    I need to fill out a CSS profile for my mother who is my noncustodial parent...

Your mother, not you, needs to be doing this.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,476 Senior Member
    @englibsci18

You are supposed to put the contact info for your non custodial parent on the Profile. That parent does the Profile independent from you and your custodial parent. It is set up this way so that the info from the non-custodial parent cannot be viewed by the custodial parent....and vice versa.

Did you include the contact info for your mom on the Profile?

If not, wait until Monday...and call the college board to figure out what to do.

Is there some reason this can’t wait until tomorrow?
  • englibsci18englibsci18 Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    @BelknapPoint My mom is computer illiterate, so it's become my task.
    @thumper1 I did that and she received an email, but there were no instructions whatsoever indicating how she was supposed to go about starting a new profile. We ended up just making a new college board account for her and filled it out that way. So I guess my issue is resolved.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,824 Super Moderator
    The CSS non-custodial profile is specially set up so that the non-custodial parent can submit their information privately without having to share it with their the other parties.

If you put in your mom's information (email) she will get information as to how to log in on the profile., Even if she is not computer literate, it wlil be a straight forward process.
  • annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    I have similar question..
    Does it mean that the custodial parent can use the kid's CB account to fill out the profile? but the non-custodial parent, upon receive the email, will have to create another CB account to fill out the profile?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,824 Super Moderator
    edited November 14
    Yes,

The noncustodial parent has a separate account from the student/custodial parent.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,476 Senior Member
    We ended up just making a new college board account for her and filled it out that way. So I guess my issue is resolved.

I’m not sure your issue IS resolved. You now have two different CB accounts...instead of the ONE you are supposed t have.

• annamomannamom Registered User Posts: 911 Member
    Hi @sybbie719 when I created the account, it is under "create your student account", but I am really a parent, filing the non-custodial profile. Does it sound right?
    @sybbie719 Thank you for your help.