Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

TPEG, FSEOG Grants?

grie1214grie1214 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
I'm a transfer student from Colorado. I got admitted to a school in Texas, and from the looks of my financial aid, I won't be attending. I got awarded for the Pell grant as well as unsubsidized and subsidized loans. When I asked about being funded for the need based state grants(FESOG and TPEG) they told me I was not eligible since I'm an out of state transfer student. The requirements listed on there site to receive the award are you have to be a Texas resident and you have to show financial need. I don't see how this is possible if I meet all the requirements. I am classified as an in state student, and my EFC is 0. They are basically telling me throughout pursuing my degree I will never receive state grants. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, did you receive state grants the following semester? Is it even worth going to their school?

Replies to: TPEG, FSEOG Grants?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 17,806 Senior Member
    I asked about being funded for the need based state grants(FESOG and TPEG) they told me I was not eligible since I'm an out of state transfer student. The requirements listed on there site to receive the award are you have to be a Texas resident and you have to show financial need. I don't see how this is possible if I meet all the requirements. I am classified as an in state student, and my EFC is 0.

ARE you an instate student? If so, why do they think you are an OOS student? Just because the school gives you instate tuition rates doesn't make you an instate student for grants or other state aid.

I think there is a miscommunication about your instate status. If you are truly an instate student, that might be the problem. However, in Florida for bright futures (for which you'd have to be a Florida high school grade with few exceptions), you must begin using the BF awards within 2 years of graduating from hs, so sometime students go OOS and then transfer back to a Florida school and aren't eligible. Are those awards only for new freshmen?
  • grie1214grie1214 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    How will I know for sure that im an instate student? When I got accepted, it stated " Your residency status is In- State Resident. You admission status is Transfer Admit". I believe they think that I am an OOS student because I went to school in Colorado last semester for fall and transferred in for Spring. These awards are not only for freshman im assuming since it says undergrads. I did graduate from a highschool in Texas in 2015 so what you're saying could be the problem as well.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 17,806 Senior Member
    I looked at the the TPEG and it says it is for instate or OOS students. Of course, the schools can put their own restrictions on need based awards. The FSEOG is federal money but the schools get to distribute it any way they like. California doesn't give it to OOS students, but my daughter does receive it as an OOS student at her school. Up to the school.

I think you are a Tex resident and it may just be a mistake BUT those grants are up to the schools to decide who gets them. Worth talking to them about it.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 69,462 Senior Member
    In terms of FSEOG....schools make the determination in terms of awarding this. It is NOT a guaranteed award for anyone...and there is limited funding per campus.

Betting the Texas grant is the same. Not guaranteed.