Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Extra Grants

BriBankssBriBankss Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
If I have a grant that won’t go towards my tuition and fees because it’s already paid . Will I get the grant refunded if I’m not using it ? *sorry for the grammar errors

Replies to: Extra Grants

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 71,087 Senior Member
    What kind of grant is this?

Is it from your college...or elsewhere?

Do you have unmet financial need? Colleges do not give need based aid in excess of your need...plus your EFC.

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 3,763 Senior Member
    If I have a grant that won’t go towards my tuition and fees because it’s already paid . Will I get the grant refunded if I’m not using it ? *sorry for the grammar errors

It all depends on the policies of the grant giver. There's no way we can answer your question without knowing those policies.
  • HRSMomHRSMom Registered User Posts: 4,632 Senior Member
    Do you need it for room and board?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,121 Super Moderator
    You really have to ask your school. The real answer is it depends. If you are talking about PELL, PELL is an entitlement, so you are eligible for it, you will receive it
    If it is PELL, you need to find out if they will apply it toward your room and board.

What are the terms of your scholarship?

Who are you getting your tuitionroom and board scholarship from? Is toy tuition scholarship a last payer where they apply the “ free” money (federal and state aid first)?

If it is state aid, most can only be used fortuition so they won’t let you double dip.